First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Today is my first partial mash brew, and while I've already done most of my brews as soaked specialty grains, this one gave me some troubles. I use an outdoor propane burner for heat and I had a hell of a time keeping the temp steady at first. The instructions said, "keep between 148 and 152, but not over 155."

My question is: If the temp went to 158, but I brought it down in a few seconds with a splash of cooler water, should I expect problems? After about 8 min of juggling between the propane control and my emergency "cool down" water, I have been able to hold the temp steady at 148-149.

Also, any tips for better heat control? 45 minute soaks might give me a heart attack in the future.:)

Convert a cooler into a mash tun. I just recently started doing partial mashes and decided to completely skip the stovetop method. Glad I did, even seeping specialty grains in a pot was a pain. Yesterday I brewed and my temperature fell from about 153 to 150 in 60 minutes.

I have heard of people putting the pot into a preheated oven during the mash to maintain temperatures. Search and there's probably a lot of posts on the subject.

I like the oven idea, but my oven's lowest setting is 170. I'll do some research on converting a cooler into a mash tun. I gave up after 20 minutes of having the temp go up and down from 140-160. I dumped the grains and will try again another day. I just wasn't enjoying today's brew session.

Back