First partial mash gravity results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i just bottled my first partial mash and the readings I'm getting are strange. my OG was 1.053 which was a little high for my style (blonde ale) but i didn't think anything of it. I pitched my wyeast American ale smack pack and sat it in my closet to ferment.

I let it sit for a week and then transfered to secondary. It sat there for 2 weeks until i got consistant gravity readings.

but here's the thing. it fermented down to 1.008. thats a 6.XX% beer!

Did I just get really good efficiency? My yeast was only about a week old, so did it just do that well? Is this beer a freak of nature that will give me super powers?

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/5e38dd9d/shoultzmeyer-brewery-new-blonde-highlights

thats the recipe i used. I did the BIAB method.

1.053 -> 1.008 is 85% attenuation. That's a mite above typical for that yeast, but not by any means impossible, especially if your mash was relatively cool.

More likely, though, your initial gravity reading might have been off. Did you use top-off water? If so, it likely didn't mix thoroughly.

Since going all grain (3 batches so far) my final gravity has been much better. I just couldn't shake the 1.020FG extract barrier. Now with getting around 80% efficiency on my mashes and going down to 1.012 instead of 1.020 I don't have to use as much grain as I originally had in my converted recipes.

I'm really happy with the switch to AG for so many reasons.

More likely, though, your initial gravity reading might have been off. Did you use top-off water? If so, it likely didn't mix thoroughly.

I used top off water, about 1.5 gal. but i lightly spun the fermenter to create a whirlpool and then took my reading... It's a possibility that it didnt mix well.

Since going all grain (3 batches so far) my final gravity has been much better. I just couldn't shake the 1.020FG extract barrier. Now with getting around 80% efficiency on my mashes and going down to 1.012 instead of 1.020 I don't have to use as much grain as I originally had in my converted recipes.

I'm really happy with the switch to AG for so many reasons.

I can't wait to switch to AG. SWMBO is alright with it because most times the grain costs are less than their PM counterparts. I'm working on getting everything i need together so i can get a nice outdoor brew setup.

1.053 -> 1.008 is 85% attenuation. That's a mite above typical for that yeast, but not by any means impossible, especially if your mash was relatively cool.

i always have an over-attenuation "problem" ... about 82.5 to about 85 percent on average.

I used top off water, about 1.5 gal. but i lightly spun the fermenter to create a whirlpool and then took my reading... It's a possibility that it didnt mix well.

It's likely then that your actual gravity was closer to the mid 1.040s, and likewise that your attenuation was relatively normal for this kind of yeast. Everything looks a-okay. :mug:

Latest posts

Back