First partial mash, and I need some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
Finally making the jump away from extract to partial mash, but I want to make sure my grain bill and a couple other things are appropriate before the brew.

My biggest question is how much base malt will I need? I'm making an 3-gallon NEIPA with Golden Promise, flaked wheat, flaked oats and CaraPils. If I use .5 pounds of flaked wheat, .5 pounds flaked oats and .5 pounds CaraPils, how much Golden Promise should I use? I am thinking 3 pounds, which comes out to 4.5 total pounds of grain.

Also, for this particular beer, is Golden Promise an appropriate base malt to use?

How much water should I use for the mash? This will be a BIAB partial mash done on my stovetop. I have a 5-gallon boil kettle and other pots around the house that can probably fit 2-3 gallons (sparge water?). I have a 5-gallon paint strainer bag that I will use for the grain.

After the mash, will I need to boil for a full 60 minutes? Since this is an NEIPA, I will not use any boil hops for bittering. My first additions will come 10 minutes before flameout, and the rest will go in at whirlpool and dry hopping.

Recipe is below. I welcome any input. Thanks!

NEIPA Partial Mash
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.3%
IBU (tinseth): 26.2
SRM (morey): 5.56

Fermentables (Partial mash + extract)
3 lb Golden Promise
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Flaked Oats
0.5 lb CaraPils
3 lb Golden Light DME

Hops
0.5 oz Citra Pellet (Boil -- 10 minutes)
0.5 oz Idaho 7 Pellet (Boil -- 10 minutes)
0.5 oz Citra Pellet (Whirlpool -- 180 for 20 minutes)
0.5 oz Idaho 7 Pellet (Whirlpool -- 180 for 20 minutes)
0.5 oz Azacca Pellet (Whirlpool -- 180 for 20 minutes)
0.5 oz Azacca Pellet (Dry hop -- tail end of fermentation)
0.5 oz Citra Pellet (Dry hop -- tail end of fermentation)
0.5 oz Idaho 7 Pellet (Dry hop -- tail end of fermentation)
1 oz Azacca Pellet (Dry hop -- 5 days before bottling)
1 oz Citra Pellet (Dry hop -- 5 days before bottling)
1 oz idaho 7 Pellet (Dry hop -- 5 days before bottling)

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Last edited:
Regarding your BIAB mash...
I like to mash at 1.35 quarts per pound of grain, which would be 1.5 gallons in your case. I then sparge with the same amount. You could skip the sparge, do a dunk sparge, or if you wish you could even mash at a higher volume.

I just wanted to touch on one important detail that you may or may not have considered yet: pH of your mash. If it's too high, then you can extract harsh tannins from the grain giving the final beer a harsh bitter quality. It really depends on your water source which can be tricky to sort out. If its your first time experimenting with mashing grains, I recommend checking out the Easy Water Primer in the Brew Science section:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/

You use a mineral free water source such as distilled or reverse osmosis, and simply add a little calcium chloride to help get the pH in line. In your case, you'd need about a 1/2 teaspoon, or a little more.

Last edited:
Back