First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe;

22.4 lbs of Alberta honey (wild flower)
13.2 lbs mixed berrys
8.8 lbs Whole strawberries
97 oz. Berry Juice
2.3 gl water
wyeast 4632 DRY mead
wyeast beer nutrient blend

Thanks

Those berries will lose their color, turn to mush, and settle to the bottom. The trick is to decide how much volume you're willing to lose versus continuing to suck up some chunks when you rack.

When I make fruit meads, I usually ferment until done, rack, and then continue to rack whenever there is more than 1/4" of "sediment."

You'll eventually get there....

Not to hijack this thread

AZ,
My oranges dropped then they came up ...its nice and clear should I rack or wait to see if they redrop?

its JAOM

I saw that thread, but haven't replied yet....

Remember the raisin in the soda water experiment in chemistry class? Now that you have alcohol in your mead, you also have CO2, your oranges probably floated again because of CO2 bubbles getting caught in the membranes...

With JAOM (and most meads in general), you can rack when clear...

Also depends if you pulverised the strawberries. You'll probably just a lose a fair amount to lees as AZ_IPA said.

I have now pulverized most of the fruit. I am leaving for 3 days tomorrow. Do I leave it now till the fruit settles? Then rack it off the fruit? Do I need to be concerned for the fruit on the top being exposed to air till Sunday because I will not be able to stir it?

Maybe I am using beer as an example, but I see no action. I also have it in a 10gl bucket so can't see through it well.

Thanks in advance.

I feel like a newbie again.........

Latest posts

Back