First Mead - Need help with Fermaid O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I put together my first mead today and got 6 gallons of honey and water mixed to 1.110, oxygenated for 2 mins with pure O2 and pitched 2 pkts of D-47 yeast.
I want to stagger the nutrient additions as per instructed on the forums but can't find much info on how much Fermaid O to use. Fermaid O was the only nutrient available from my homebrew supplier so I went for that.
I pitched in 4.5 grams at with the yeast but need to know how much more to add.
Thanks in advance.

For a SG of 1.11, you would add additional nutrients at 1.074 and 1.038.

For my 6 gallon batches I add 2 TBsp of DAP and 2 TBsp of Fermaid O or K at the intervals.

Don't forget to dissolve these nutrients first before adding them to the Mead. If added dry you will end up with a nucleation point eruption

I'm new to brewing, and would like to try fermaid O, but the amounts I see here don't mesh with the package instructions. On the package it says to add 20g per hundred liters (26.4 gallons). This works out to 0.7 ounces, or about 1/8th of a teaspoon per gallon or 3/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons. I see HB_in_Subic is adding 2 tablespoons each time. That's quite a difference. What gives?

Using a calculator online is an easy tool to figure out how much to use then go from there as you develop a recipe. Using a scale to measure nutrients is recommended or figure out how much your utensils hold, e.g. my teaspoon consistently measures 3.1 - 3.3 grams of Fermaid O.

Back