First Lager Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeRoe

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my first lager with now having a temp controlled freezer to play with.

I have a packet of WLP833. I've been doing 1.5 gallon batches and love them. I love being able to brew 1-2 times a week. But yeast is expensive and wanted to do a couple things here.

First, if I'm going to occupy my freezer for 3-4 weeks I want to get more then 1.5 gallons of beer. So I want to do two batches using my single WLP833 packet.

Also, I want to harvest some CLEAN yeast from my stir plate via overbuilding...

So heres the plan, help a noob out.

Brulospher says overbuild by 100 billion to harvest.
Maibock recipe needs 137 billion. (1.066 OG - 1.5 gallon)
Vienna lager needs 108 billion. (1.055 OG - 1.5 gallon)

I can make 352 billion via 2 L starter with 202 g DME. The total above is

Now the questions:

1.) I have a 2L erlenmeyer flask, is it ok to make a 2L starter or do i need more headspace? I'll be using a stir plate.

2.) They're all ~ equal... Should I then just divide it into equal thirds prior to cold crashing into sanitized mason jars? I'll be pitching 2/3 of them on Saturday and then save the other for a month or two until the next lager batch where i'll then make an appropriate starter.

What am I missing here? Can I assume everything is uniform? How exact do I need to be as if everything is perfect, the maibock would be getting ~20 billion less than wanted. Is that something to fret over?

Also I do have a clear 1 gallon growler... I've just tested it and get a decent 1" dimple and the stir bar doesn't get thrown. Better?

Still the question from how much to divide? Looking at calculators online for a simple 1 batch with over growing it tells me to split a 1.5 gallon started 1.0 to 5.0 for the auto use and harvest. If they're only off by ~40 billion why the 2/3 split? This is using homebrew dads calculator.

I find I don't get tons of krauesen, especially for lager yeasts, using a stir plate. But if your growler does the trick, use it (I have used 1G apple juice jars, no problems throwing bars.

I wouldn't direct pitch yeast a month old, I would do another starter to get them active. Or, use the yeast from the first beer for the month later beer.

As for the Maibock, overpitch if anything. You want lagers super clean.

With lagers and hybrids, err on the side of an over-pitch when you do the numbers. Don't fear an over-pitch. You're not looking for yeast derived flavors to be pronounced in these beers.

Get a 5L flask and get near infinite yeast from a single vial. I've made 30 gallons of lagers over a many month span from a single purchase of WLP 833. I still have more in the fridge ready and waiting. $8 plus DME per starter. (Usually make ~3L)

Overbuilding is
  • simple
  • effective
  • financially sensible
  • rendered simpler via use of a suitably sized flask and a DIY stir plate.

I have yet to buy the same strain of liquid yeast more than once.

So at what point is it considered overbuilding? I need right around 350 B. So 400? 500? 600? How much is too much.

Btw thank you very much.

When dividing the starter, can I assume uniform dispersion? If a 5 L starter with 500 B, if I want to harvest 100 B for lager... Take 1L? These numbers clearly aren't correct just for ease of use.

So at what point is it considered overbuilding? I need right around 350 B. So 400? 500? 600? How much is too much.

Btw thank you very much.

When dividing the starter, can I assume uniform dispersion? If a 5 L starter with 500 B, if I want to harvest 100 B for lager... Take 1L? These numbers clearly aren't correct just for ease of use.

Just over build however much you want. I shoot for 100B

Yes. harvest the overbuild based on volumetric percentages. You are correct.

There is little piece about starters in my signature below. Touches on my methods. Might be useful to you.

Latest posts

Back