First Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy1979

Reaction score
Am making my first lager...My SG was at 1.040 at 68 and I pitched 2 packs of the Wyeast 2007 into this. . This is the recipe I followed: my question is, should I have enough yeast to complete fermentation? Thanks for the input.

5 gallons, extract and steeping grains; OG = 1.045 FG = 1.008 IBU = 38

Ingredients:

1 lb. carapils malt
6 lbs. Muntons extra-light malt extract syrup
6 AAU Perle hops (0.75 oz. at 8% alpha acid)
6 AAU Hallertau hops (1.5 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
German lager or pilsner yeast (Wyeast 2007 or White Labs WLP830)
7/8 cup corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:

Steep the carapils (cracked) in a grain bag in 3 gallons of water at 150° F for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add malt extract and stir well. Bring to a boil, add Perle hops, boil 45 minutes. Add 4 AAU Hallertau hops, boil 40 minutes. Add remaining 2 AAU Hallertau, boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, remove hops.

Cool and top up to 5.25 gallons with pre-boiled, chilled water. At 68° F, pitch yeast. Ferment at 68° F for two days, or until bubbling is sustained. Move fermenter to cooler location, near 50° F, and continue primary fermentation for seven days. Rack to secondary and lager at 35° to 38° F, for six weeks. Warm up to room temperature for a day, prime with corn sugar and bottle. Bottle condition warm for two days, then lager in bottles at 38° to 40° F for four to six weeks.

A starter would have been preferable, but you might be ok since that's a pretty low OG.

Only other thing I would add is before you move to secondary to lager, you need to bring it back to 68 or so for the diacetyl rest when you're at about 75-80% to FG. It's also probably advisable to go ahead and drop the initial temp to the low 50s. It should start just fine.

Latest posts

Back