First Lager...Beer going well, but screwed up some food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431brew

Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a keezer, but my wife and I needed a little extra freezer space and that was the priority. So a few months ago we bought a second refrigerator to keep kegs and bottled beer in, and used the freezer above for food.

I started experimenting with the refrigerator settings and learned that I could adjust the thermostat and vary the temp from 35 to about 65 degrees. So I decided to brew my first lager.

I hit all of my marks, put the fermenter in the refrigerator, set the dial to the 55 degree mark I had made, and checked it 24 hours later to find some action in the air lock. I turned the light out in the room, shut the door and let it go for a little over a week. Think "set it and forget it"!

I went back Wednesday, air lock was dead, I raised the temp to about 65 degrees, light out, room door closed. "Things are going well," I said to myself. "This is going to be a good beer."

When I came home for lunch Friday, I smelled something that stunk as soon as I walked into the house. I thought my son had forgotten to take out the trash and was about to get pissed at him when I recognized the smell: venison sausage.

In all of my experimenting with the temp in the refrigerator, I never looked in the freezer to see if there was a separate thermostat for it. I assumed there was because our kitchen refrigerator has separate controls for frig and freezer, but I never considered confirming this. The funny part, or stupid part, is that I tinkered with the thermostat for about three weeks marking all of the temps at different settings, but never considered the freezer!

Luckily, I never left the temp at any setting very long while experimenting and always returned it back to normal. The meat that we took out of this freezer during this time was always frozen solid, so we never suspected I was about to screw it up.

About 25 pounds of sausage and ground venison, a couple of pizzas, a pack of pork chops, and I do not know what else were thawed. :eek: Fortunately, the remaining 25-30 pounds of venison was still firm, although soft on the surface.

So...guess what we are eating until further notice?

Guys, I really am smarter than this. At the risk of being called an idiot, I thought I would share this with you because it is a funny, rookie mistake. Looking back, I was only about one mark away from turning that bastard off!

We may not have any food around here, but we are going to have some good beer!:D

That sucks. I love venison.

On a beer note... did you take hydrometer readings throughout the whole process. You keep referring to the airlock, but a week in primary for a lager seems very short in my opinion. Usually, my lagers ferment at 50F for at least 3-4 weeks before I do a d-rest and begin to lager.

I know how it is, its the sort of mistake that you would pick up straight away if you were at a buddies and saw him playing with the dial but since its you the thought never enters your head :( Be patient on that lager now and it will make you feel much better in a couple of months :D

That sucks. I love venison.

On a beer note... did you take hydrometer readings throughout the whole process. You keep referring to the airlock, but a week in primary for a lager seems very short in my opinion. Usually, my lagers ferment at 50F for at least 3-4 weeks before I do a d-rest and begin to lager.

Suthrncomfrt, I was following the general directions that came with the recipe from AHS since it was my first. It was the safe way for me to do it and kind of spur of the moment thing actually. When I ordered, I intended to ferment at room temp. The directions gave instructions for both, so I went for it after checking the temp ranges of my frig! However, I had to crank the freezer back up to save the remaining meat so I took the fermenting bucket out and let it run at room temp. Next time, I am going to do some planning and use a chamber or something if I have food in the freezer. I will also consult the forum threads for the "how-to" part.

I know how it is, its the sort of mistake that you would pick up straight away if you were at a buddies and saw him playing with the dial but since its you the thought never enters your head :( Be patient on that lager now and it will make you feel much better in a couple of months :D

Pommy, you are right. If I had been at a buddy's house and saw that, I would have given him hell! I let it ferment out at room temp since I had to crank the freezer back up. It had a very good flavor to it when I transferred it to the secondary, so I am so looking forward to it making me feel better!

My wife got on my ass a few brews ago because I had a boilover on the stove, which led to a mess on everything between the stove and the floor. It was too hot outside, so I brewed this one on the stove again and was very careful so I would not make a mess in the kitchen. So she got on my ass this time about thawing out so much food! She will be feeling better, too, after she drinks a few of these "light" beers.

Dont worry mate, the comfortable silence you will enjoy when your beer is good and ready and your wife is enjoying her first few will make you understand that the only reason women are always on our back is so that we can appreciate those special moments! Im sure a couple of pints and she will be happy for you to go about your destructive brewing again ;)

Dont worry mate, the comfortable silence you will enjoy when your beer is good and ready and your wife is enjoying her first few will make you understand that the only reason women are always on our back is so that we can appreciate those special moments! Im sure a couple of pints and she will be happy for you to go about your destructive brewing again ;)

Must be nice having a wife that drinks. My lady won't touch a beer.

Its nice to have a lady that drinks but it would be nicer to have one that brewed! Its impossible to have a beer last more than a couple of months. At least brewing upgrades are seen as a necessity so that should change soon.

Back