First IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr24

Reaction score
So I brewed my first IPA it was an extract kit and I followed the instructions, and did what I always do but when I transferred to my fermenter it was very difficult to just get the beer out I got a lot of hop sediment along with it is this ok? Was I suppose to use hop bags perhaps I never used them before cause it was never a problem but there are a great deal of hops here.

It's fine.

Personally I use a hop bag to reduce hop trub. Your beer is fine but you could've added more water to your final volume to account for the trub.

Ok thank you that takes some of the worry away.... So obviously over night my fermentation has started, opening it would be a poor decision would I be able to add more water in secondary or just leave it the way it is now?

Leave it alone. I generally aim for 5.5 gallons going into primary from my kettle, this way it accounts for volume loss with trub/hop particles. In the case of extract brewing, when you transfer from your kettle to primary, just top up with water to 5.5 gallons in your primary vessel. It may lead to a slightly lower OG, but that can be fixed as well. Also, when transferring from kettle to primary, I put the hose in a big mesh strainer, so it traps behind most, if not all, of the hop residue..plus it helps aerate the wort, which helps cut down on lag time for the yeast.

Back