First infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neudson

Reaction score
Hi guys. I think i have my first infection. I am fermenting a belgian ale for nearly 2 weeks now. When i got the first SG reading the beer was fine and smelled amazing. The only thing that caught my attention was the huge atennuation in that small amout of time: 1.040 to 1.008.

Then i left it for another week, but didn't take much care for temperature control, and it fermented for at least 3 days at 27ºC. And when i openned the bucket yesterday to pic, that's what i found (picture below).

What do you think it is? Dump, bottle ou let it sit?

2013-02-14 17.11.16.jpg

pull a sample from underneath that. Does it taste fine? Has the gravity changed any? If it was infected it probably would dry way out, or could. If it tastes fine, bottle it. Maybe go a little low on the priming though as infection can cause bottle bombs. Keep it in a tub while it carbs and check it after a few weeks.

I had a taste. Didn't tasted bad, no signs of sourness or anything unpleasant. Going for bottle!

Back