First homebrew, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stooges56

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm setting out to brew my first batch of beer this week but I need some advice. I have an idea for the way I want to spice the beer up but am not sure what style. I want to make a beer with orange blossom honey, pink peppercorns, thyme and possibly oranges. My favorite style is an American IPA but I'm not sure how that would all go with an IPA. I was thinking about doing a Belgian Witbier or Dubbel. Any suggestions?

Hi,
I'm setting out to brew my first batch of beer this week but I need some advice. I have an idea for the way I want to spice the beer up but am not sure what style. I want to make a beer with orange blossom honey, pink peppercorns, thyme and possibly oranges. My favorite style is an American IPA but I'm not sure how that would all go with an IPA. I was thinking about doing a Belgian Witbier or Dubbel. Any suggestions?

Don't "spice" up your first brew. Follow the directions and get the procedure down and do lots of reading in the "sticky" section.

Dont try to be too ambitious your first time out. If you like IPas just do a pale ale so you dont spend too much on hops. As for spices and the like dont waste your time. Try that when you know what your doing.

Yeah just do without all the add ons. This way you can taste how YOUR beer tastes. Just do a single hopped IPA with cascade.

I would also keep things simple for your first beer. Keeping things simple will help pinpoint any off flavors that you might come across when the beer is finished.

However, if you really wanted to do the spices and honey anyway, I would suggest a Saison or a Belgian blone ale. The spices will come through in your beer, but the honey might be hidden behind the flavors since most of it will ferment out during your primary fermentation.

I recommend new brewers do for their first couple kits, as is, so you can concentrate on the process of brewing, and not recipe creation..

Also kits are 'fool proof' meaning they have been vetted in terms of being good recipes (afterall a company's reputation is at stake) and therefore as long as you follow directions then your beer will turn out and so you can relax and concentrate on learning the process of brewing, AND if you make a mistake, and have a set kit, then it is easier to troubleshoot, because again you know then kit was already "perfect" to begin with.

If you want a strong beer, don't choose a normal gravity beer and decide that since you read about boosting gravity by adding more sugars to just add more sugar, choose a beet of the grav you want, just like if you wand a peach beer, don't choose a non fruit beer recipe and try to "figure out" how to add the fruit...get a kit or recipe that has everything you need in the right quantities you need. Recipes are about a BALANCE between flavors, bitterness, aromas, what have you, and until you get a few batches under your belt, and learn the fundamentals, stick with the already proven and balanced recipes. That way you don't have the extra step of trying to figure out what went wrong if the beer doesn't taste good.....if the recipe or kit already tastes good (and they would have gone through tastes tests and ALREADY before you got to them- you know they are already good, if not award winning beers, if you went with a kit or book recipe, they have been vetted) if there is something not right, you will have an easier time trying to figure out what went wrong in terms of your brewing PROCESS, not because you went off the ranch and on top of trying to actually learn to brew, you also through a bunch of crap into the equation.

In your case, if you want spices and oranges, order a kit that contains all the spices you need.

Beer recipes are a balance...and if you add to one variable, that will affect other parts of it...For example if you decide to raise the gravity of a balanced beer...a beer where the hops balance out the sweetness...and you raise the maltniness of it without alaso balancing the hops, then your beer may end up being way too cloyingly sweet. Or if you just add sugar willy nilly it could become overly dry, or cidery.

At this stage you don't know enough yet, and you won't learn just by jacking a recipe o your first time out of the box. Don't start altering recipes on your first batch, or else you're gonna be posting a thread titled, "Why does my beer taste like I licked Satan's Anus after he ate a dozen coneys?" And we're not going to be able to answer you, because you've screwed with the recipe as well as maybe made a few noob brewer mistakes that typically get made, and neither you, nor us, are going to be able to figure out what went wrong. Because there's too many variables.

Just brew a couple batches and learn from them, and read books about recipe creation before you start messing around. It's not about tossing stuff into a fermenter and seeing how it turns out.

:mug:

Good points to remember. Even though we all learn at different rates,best to start out slow. Take me,for instance. I started out in my middle teens making wine with a 1G kit my father got,& asked me if I wanted to brew it. With succeeding batches,it got so good he was all too proud to serve it to visiting relatives.
I made wine through my 20's,wore that kit out. Flash forward to last December/January. We were watching videos with some craft beers one evening,& stumbled onto craigtube (youtube),& saw how easy it is to brew beer nowadays. I was amazed at how things have progressed. I was hooked as soon as I bought my Cooper's micro brew kit.
They gave me the OS Lager kit with it,so I brewed it per directions to the point where I was sure the recipe was off on times & such. I came on here,used a little common sense,& proceeded. Came out better than I imagined. With the right hops,I thought,this could be a Sam Adam's summer ale clone. But I took it slow anyway,reading & studying here to learn more.
Then I started adding some hops to the canned kits. Then used DME instead of the brewing sugar. Then my wife needed mentoring on her 1st brew with steeping grains,so we both learned something on NHB's day this past may. Now I'm studying the use of steeping grains with the recipe ideas I've got piling up.
See where I'm going with this? Learn step by step,like the Terminators. The more we brew,the more we learn...:mug:

Ha thanks everybody for your advice. You're right, I should start out with the basics first and then build on that. Would just a regular saison be good to start with? I've been so excited since I got my kit and haven't been able to brew yet. All I think about is beer and what combinations to try. Once again, thanks for bringing me back down to earth. Probably gonna brew Monday. Let you know how it went.

Latest posts

Back