First HomeBrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarhead2000

Reaction score
I am thinking about submitting an entry into a local comp. But as this is my first attempt I have a question about the entry.

How strict are the style guidelines for submission? If the American Barleywine style (2015) says ABV 8.0-12.0, and mine is 12.4 does that throw it out? Or is it strictly the OG and FG ranges I need to be worried about? I can post a copy of my recipe later.

Basically, I just wanna know if I'm gonna submit a valid entry or not. No expectations in this comp other than getting some feedback on my beer.

Any help appreciated.

I would not even worry about the ABV. They can't possibly know what it is. Go ahead and enter it. The worst that will happen is they think it has a bit much alcohol heat - but if that is not present, then great. I don't think it is cheating. Unless they ask specifically for the data that will reveal the ABV, don't even sweat it.

They will grade your entry based on what category you enter it. Use the results to better your brewing.

The judges evaluate your beer based on appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel. They don't pull out any hydrometers or anything analytical, it's all how they perceive your beer relative to the style. If you're looking for feedback on your beer, this is a great way. Good luck! Which comp is it?

Thankfully this doesn't have much heat. I'm basically just excited to have people other than friends/relatives taste it with no obligations not to hurt my feelings. Either way I think it tastes great and that's really all that matters!

Thankfully this doesn't have much heat. I'm basically just excited to have people other than friends/relatives taste it with no obligations not to hurt my feelings. Either way I think it tastes great and that's really all that matters!

Wait you're from Cincinnati, nice! I'd be glad to give you some feedback on the beer if you'd like beforehand.

So the results are in. We didn't place, we got a score of 28. This was our first entry in any type of homebrew competition. Will wait to receive the score sheet. Overall I'm just happy that other people liked the beer and thought it was good. It could have been way worse!

Congratulations! I would just like to say that I was just reading the introduction to the 2015 BJCP Guidelines. It specifically states that they are to be used only as a guide, and, since brewing has evolved over the years, room for evolution of styles should be allowed. So if your ABV was .4% above the guidelines, even if it was known by the judges, it should not have been dinged as out of style by the judges per the BJCP literature. Just figured I would share.

Yeah if you were only a smidge over the guidelines on ABV, that will not be why you got a 28. Nice score though to be honest on your first try. American BW is a very difficult and complex style to nail everything properly.

So the results are in. We didn't place, we got a score of 28. This was our first entry in any type of homebrew competition. Will wait to receive the score sheet. Overall I'm just happy that other people liked the beer and thought it was good. It could have been way worse!

Congrats! You should come out to the competition next year if you are in the area, it is a good time! After the judging they have free food and beer from local breweries (for purchase) and then they announce the winners and do the prizes/awards. You can also pick up your scoresheets so you get immediate feedback.

Congrats! You should come out to the competition next year if you are in the area, it is a good time! After the judging they have free food and beer from local breweries (for purchase) and then they announce the winners and do the prizes/awards. You can also pick up your scoresheets so you get immediate feedback.
If it wasn't for work and our 3m old we would have. Looking forward to more competitions. Did submit same beer to Philly HBC Winter Warmers comp on March 3. Just for some more feedback.

Back