First go with a homemade immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearwall

Reaction score
I am concerned about a metallic flavor from the copper tubing. Can anyone help set me at ease before I use it? I made my coils by hand yesterday and my hands smelled like copper which caused me to worry about what it will do to the beer. Is there any technique I need to do to prevent my final product from tasting like the Tin Man when i pop a cap?

Clean the copper soak it in hot vinegar before first use. Or you will end up with all that oliy coppery goodness in your beer the first time you use it.

I gave mine a good wash with a tiny bit of soap and a lot of water to get rid of anything from the manufacturing process, but other then that it should be just fine. Some breweries use giant copper kettles so a little imerssion cooler will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A simple washing with soap and water to remove manufacturing "stuff" is all that's needed.

The only way I can help to ease your mind is to say I've used a copper immersion chiller in hundreds of batches and never experienced a metallic taste in my beers. I still get the copper smell on my hands each time I clean the chiller after use but it does not get imparted into the wort. What copper ions do make it into the wort are readily used by the yeast.

Spray with starsan and rinse. It will get all shiny from the acid reaction with the copper.

50' x 3/8" diameter . . .

IC_cleaning.jpg

Back