First extract brew yesterday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bildo

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody on here for all the help and advice. I brewed a red ale yesterday and didn't have many issues, except for the people I share a house with not understanding why I had the kitchen area blocked off. I almost had to throw a frying pan full of hamburger at the guy who decided he needed to cook while I was brewing, but I guess that's why I'm sharing a house, I couldn't kick him out of the kitchen)-:

I don't think his presence did much to my beer though, I put the pot outside in the snow to cool it down, it was 80 degrees within 20 minutes, I put the brew in the bucket, added the rest of the water and yeast, then stirred it all. The bucket is now in the back of the laundry room wrapped in a black garbage bag to keep light out, unfortunately no other room in the house was warm enough to hold it.

It was bubbling every 30 seconds or so this morning when I checked on it. Now I need to go pick up some bottles!

Congrats! One word of advice is to watch your ferment temps closely in that laundry room...or...just dont turn the dryer on.

Yeah I'm watching the temp, the room is only 60 degrees, but we keep the house very cold. My grandpa has some pink styrofoam type insulation, maybe I'll build a box out of that so that I can keep it at the right temp.

Yeah, you'll want to be careful with the temp, 60 is pretty low. That is about the low limit for most ale yeasts. Done you have a heater or something? My house is really cold right now too, and I just leave the rest of the house normal, and the one room where my fermenter is I just turn the thermostat to 67 degrees, and it only comes on 2-3 times a day, and its working perfectly.

One other thing you might want to think about is a blow off tube. Sometimes those yeasts can get a little crazy. Congrats on a 1st brew!!!:ban:

Unfortunately I don't have a heater, I might have to get a belt I can put around the bucket and see what happens. Now I'm debating between regular bottles and swing tops.

Just ordered a belt, it'll be here tuesday, hopefully the beer will be ok till then. I guess if it isn't I'll just make more, I don't give up!

Wrap a big ol' towel or blanket around it. The fermentation will generate some heat, and the towel will help hold it. A quick, temporary fix. Congrats on your first beer. And super congrats for not throwing out the cook!! ;)

I like the regular bottles. I bought a case of new empty 12 oz and 22 oz when I first started. While waiting for the first batch to finish, I had fun acquiring bottles and cleaning em up for my beer! I know it's more work, but it more time I spend with the hobby.

I wrapped a couple blankets around it for now, it kind of stinks but hopefully it's nothing to worry about, I sanitized everything. The smell isn't overwhelming, just a little sour.

You put something underneath it too, right? Lots of cold being brought up from the floor, I'm sure. Hey! How 'bout a fermenter Snuggie?? ;)

Back