First drain pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliethebum

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. After nearly 50 batches, I made a beer not even I can drink. FYI, If you're going to cold crash outside on your deck, make sure to cover your fermenter with something to keep out uv rays. "Delightfully fruity white ipa" turns into "rotting skunk butt" faster than you may think :(

May it rest in peace :(

Perhaps santa will bring you a temp controller n fridge to ferment in :rockin:

At least yours was from the sun. That's pretty reasonable. I brewed a smoky brown ale the other day that now...well, smells like sour feet :cross: We'll see how it turns out, but I believe I've found my first dud.

R.I.P., good soldier... you went from us too soon, but we'll never forget you.

So, OP - you're brewing again already, right?

:D

That stinks.

My first drain pour was from scorching the LME pretty bad. It tasted like burnt marshmallows.

Some people..uhem...udem...might like the flavor of burned marshmellos.

Rewind to 1985...disco was dead. Hair metal was in full swing:rockin::fro:
Enter Mount Mellick LME, a novice brewer and a full world of things that could go wrong. I learned a lot that summer back in '85 - like how to make vinegar!

Hundreds of brews later - extract, partial, and AG...only 2 have made the terrible journey.

I didn't really think it would become light struck since my deck is on the north side of my house and in the shade all day. Live and learn I guess

Yeah next time take some and make some vinegar out of it. At least you'll have that

Some people..uhem...udem...might like the flavor of burned marshmellos.

I tried to give it a chance. I bottled it and everything. Occasionally I would think I detected smokey notes or that the burnt marshmallow flavor might be good in some way but every bottle I tried to drink just made me sad. Gave some to my brother who wanted to try my bad beer and he agreed that it just wasn't good. Wound up popping the tops on about a case and a half and dumped it down the sink.

Hops in beer skunk in a matter of minutes when out in the sun... there is still a lot of UV even on a north facing porch in the winter. You can make budweiser taste like heineken just by pouring it into a glass when you're mowing the lawn... few minutes later the damage is done.

Sorry for your loss.

I tried to give it a chance. I bottled it and everything. Occasionally I would think I detected smokey notes or that the burnt marshmallow flavor might be good in some way but every bottle I tried to drink just made me sad. Gave some to my brother who wanted to try my bad beer and he agreed that it just wasn't good. Wound up popping the tops on about a case and a half and dumped it down the sink.

You could of dressed up like a 1920's G-Man and took some black and whites while smashing the bottles...:D

The one time I bought an extract kit when I was starting out was a sink pour. It tasted like soy sauce mixed with feces.

I had one last year. Simple light ale with wheat then I racked on to puréed whole cranberries. Meant to take out the cranberries after 2 days but forgot about it for a month.

It tastes like my grandmas drugstore perfume so I drain poured it.

I had one last year. Simple light ale with wheat then I racked on to puréed whole cranberries. Meant to take out the cranberries after 2 days but forgot about it for a month.

Had a similar one with 1 lb of bing cherries and some coffee added to a Stout. Tasted like compost smells. Stuck it out for over 6 months before dumping.

That's a shame. I haven't dumped a batch yet, but I have a strong stomach. :) Not for skunked beer though.

I do have a large stockpile of a Saison that just isn't a very good recipe -- my own creation. I'll drink it, but it will take many months.

I had a blonde that tasted like the gas smell you get from the dentist when you were a kid and they were putting you under. Tried to wait it out but ended up dumping it.

My first dumper was about a year ago. Actually, the beer kind of dumped itself when I opened the first bottle. Aceto infection :(

downsize.jpg

2 batches of trying to make caribou slobber.used beersmith to take the recipe off northern brewer and convert to my biab/ adding lme/dme to top it off style. came out watery and thin both times

Latest posts

Back