Bottlers: Cold crashing with no oxygen prevention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
Just a question to my fellow bottle conditioning crew.

For those who cold crash specifically without any real CO² or oxygen prevention methods how do you find your beers turn out and the longevity of said beers.

I've made a range of beers from imperial stouts, Belgian Tripels to Triple NEIPAs over the last year. I control fermentation temperature in a fridge and cold crash in the primary also in said fridge. When I dry hop I add 0.005g/L of SMB with the charge. I bottle using a spigot and bottling wand directly from the primary at 0-3C. Sometimes I use a very small amount of SMB in my priming solution which I administer to each bottle as a solution in a medical syringe before filling. I also fill higher than the recommendation however probably less than some people as I allow around 1.5cm for thermal expansion as most of these beers are store at ambient outside temp (maybe just above).

All the beers I've allowed to age a bit for 3-4weeks to get rid of green flavours have received some fairly positive reviews from friends and family even with me pushing, probing and trying to get some negative constructive feedback (it's like drawing blood from a stone). Some of my IPAs from February taste decent (no longer as fresh but still enjoyable).

I am just wondering how the oxidation you encounter through cold crashing affects your beers initially and long term?

P.s. I am not doubting the effects of O² and oxidation. I am just looking for other people's experiences and if they believe taking those extra steps to preventing more O² are worth it.

I use the Cold Crash Guardian on my fermenter so there is no oxygen suck back when crashing. I also bottle from the fermenter and prime each bottle with a syringe. I also try to bottle at a colder temp because (I believe) that the beer holds more co2 in solution.

I use the Cold Crash Guardian on my fermenter so there is no oxygen suck back when crashing. I also bottle from the fermenter and prime each bottle with a syringe. I also try to bottle at a colder temp because (I believe) that the beer holds more co2 in solution.
Pretty much what I do without the guardian

Back