First cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMath

Reaction score
Hi HBT. Just started my first cider (first brewing at all actually, except for an ill-fated attempt about 10 years ago...)

I have two small batches started as an experiment right now - After this round of experimentation I plan on starting a few 5 gallon batches. Here's what I've got in primary:

Primary 1:
1 gallon Musselman's cider
1/2 cup white sugar
Vanilla (maybe ~ 1.5 tablespoons? I don't actually expect this to come through, but it probably can't hurt anything)
Safale S-04

Primary 2:
1 gallon Musselman's cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
Safale S-04

Pitched 6 days ago, fermentation in primary is slowing. When it looks like it has stopped (more or less, by visual inspection) I intend to rack to secondary and leave for a few days. Also drink some. Will bottle and periodically drink these to see how they age. Mostly I'm interested in the difference between the two sugar flavor profiles for the "real" batches - and I'm excited to be making my own cider!

So what I'm going for is a semi-dry still cider with some amount of residual apple flavors - any thoughts?

Well, I dont know what the vanilla will taste like...? I think 1 1/2 tablespoons for a gallon will flavor it more than you may think. I like the juice, brown sugar recipe...fairly simple and should taste good. If your looking for a semi dry cider you may want to backsweeten "maybe that's your plan" as it will ferment out fairly dry.

I'll post in here what the vanilla turns into - who knows.

@yeastluvr: I may backsweeten slightly, or sweeten in glass. Dry is good for me, but the lady may not be so into it. She likes things sweeter than I do. Thanks!

Racking to secondary probably tomorrow - I'll thief a little bit for taste too :)

@ByCandleLightWinery: I'll take your advice and let it work in secondary for a few weeks. It is indoors - where I live an outdoor cider would be something else entirely this time of year, I'm afraid. I knew "real" ciders didn't contain sugar (I remember them from when I was a kid visiting the family farm) but I wanted something a little different. There is a mill by me, and they sell raw juice until January most years - so maybe I'll try making a traditional cider from that. Thanks for the heads up about secondary and the link!

Welcome to HBT BrewMath!

Glad to hear you are getting pumped about your first cider. I made my first about 7 months ago and after three batches I have a really great recipe.

Cider is one of my favourites to brew because its so easy to make, and costs so little. Only problem is the WAITING!

Anyhow, let us know how it turns out. I hope you stick with us.

I added 1tbsp of pure vanilla extract to my apfelwein that's fermenting - but that's a 5 gallon batch, so at best I'll have just the barest hint of vanilla versus your recipe. I won't actually be tasting the apfelwein until after the new year, so it sounds like we may be on track to find out what it does at the same time!

Racked & tasted yesterday - the vanilla (surprisingly!!) hardly showed through at all. The flavor was heavily alcohol forward, but I gather from reading on here that this is what I should expect from a young cider. Bottled the rest, but the temptation is going to be STRONG to drink sooner than I know I should - so I'll drink and learn about the aging process while its going. The brown sugar one had a much milder, smoother flavor and the alcohol flavors were slightly reminiscent of rum.

I'm starting a "real" batch later this week. Exciting times! Thanks for the welcome :) I plan on sticking around for sure.

@Gangles: What's your recipe?

@ khiddy: Slainte! Looking forward to cracking a bottle in the new year and comparing notes.

Vanilla is often more of a supporting flavour, not really noticable by it's presence, but noticable in it's absence. That's not to say it can't be a stand alone flavour, it certainly can, but depending on the recipe, it can take more than a bit & can fade quickly. Vanilla is often quite subtle. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back