First cider ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BohWarden

Reaction score
I'm making a 5 gallon batch of cider using store bought apple juice and a white wine yeast that was recommended by my local home brew store. 1st day in the fermenter was on the 20th of this month and I was just wondering when I should rack it to another carboy and how often I should rack it. Also I don't think I want to carbonate so I assume I can use any bottles to age?

Thanks!

Why rack it at all? Do you have a specific reason to?

A lot of homebrewers only rack to a secondary when there's a specific reason to, such as racking over fruit or dry hopping. If you're not planning on anything like this, I don't see any issues with just letting the cider sit in primary the whole time.

If you're not carbonating you should be able to use just about any bottle you like to age.

Why rack it at all? Do you have a specific reason to?

A lot of homebrewers only rack to a secondary when there's a specific reason to, such as racking over fruit or dry hopping. If you're not planning on anything like this, I don't see any issues with just letting the cider sit in primary the whole time.

If you're not carbonating you should be able to use just about any bottle you like to age.

My understanding was that most folks racked to a secondary fairly soon after fermentation had slowed significantly to prevent picking up off flavors from the massive pile of dormant and dead yeast in the bottom of the primary fermenter.

I say this wondering myself as I have not brewed my own yet, but I did used to play brew assistant to my buddy a few years back. That is what he did and what I have heard many recommend, but I see a lot of contrary opinions on the matter too.

My understanding was that most folks racked to a secondary fairly soon after fermentation had slowed significantly to prevent picking up off flavors from the massive pile of dormant and dead yeast in the bottom of the primary fermenter.

This is the reason why most brewers used to do this, and why many still do. However (although often debated) this has been shown to be unnecessary and the potential for bad things to happen due to racking such as oxidation and infection far outweighs the need to get it off the yeast. I never rack unless I have a specific need to.

+1 on Black Goat's response.

Also, as each of you have alluded to, it is a matter of opinion upon which homebrewers often differ.

That said, if you choose to rack to secondary as a matter of routine, while I don't do this myself, it's my understanding that you can do this once primary fermentation is complete. As far as how often to rack, if I were to rack, it'd only be once. This accomplishes the objective of getting the brew/cider off the lees without the extra chances for possible oxidation/infection that additional racking steps could introduce.

When I was brand new new to brewing, I always racked to secondary because that is what "everybody" said to do. I now always leave the primary alone for at least 4 weeks, and then cold crash. Cold crashing has been a real lifesaver in terms of time and hassle. When I didn't have temperature controlled fermentation, using the secondary to clear was a good idea at the time. Anyway, be patient and let the yeast do their thing, and when they are done, they will drop out by themselves.
I forgot to mention; less racking equals more beer left to bottle.

I don't use a secondary for my beers, but I always do for my wines, meads and ciders.

I fail to see any reason to avoid racking for a quality cider.

Thanks Yooper!

Maybe I should stick to giving advice to beer brewers. :)

Oh, wait, I'm a noob brewer too.

We are all learning everyday, so never hesitate to give your opinions!

I'm sure that there are cider makers who make a quick cider from juice, and maybe don't rack.

I tend to use fruit, and you would NOT believe the amount of gross lees that fall out- sometimes inches thick- before the yeast sediment starts to fall out. Leaving the cider on the lees for an extended period can definitely cause some issues, as the fruit chunks in the sediment could actually start to rot. Using just clear juice may mean a lot less of the lees, and it may not be strictly necessary for all.

I just don't see an advantage to not doing it.

Gee willikers, Yooper, I'm sorry I didn't get it right. I was waiting for the Beaver to get home from school and I got bored, and, well, you know.

Exits room with tears in his eyes. See what happens when I'm waiting for the beaver to get home. Oh, hi Honey! :D

Gee willikers, Yooper, I'm sorry I didn't get it right. I was waiting for the Beaver to get home from school and I got bored, and, well, you know.

Exits room with tears in his eyes. See what happens when I'm waiting for the beaver to get home. Oh, hi Honey! :D

I'm not sure what the point is here, but since your first post talked about beer and not cider (and we're in the cider forum), I did try to give advice based on the OP's making cider. If you feel that cider shouldn't be racked, that's cool but it's not that common to not rack cider.

Would your thoughts on this differ if the primary fermenter were more of an open type, like a big SS pot? Speaking about a cider/fruit juice wine/cyser/melomel/mead sort of brew, not a beer.

I'm not sure what the point is here, but since your first post talked about beer and not cider (and we're in the cider forum), I did try to give advice based on the OP's making cider. If you feel that cider shouldn't be racked, that's cool but it's not that common to not rack cider.

Yooper, I was making an off color joke, and I apologize if I offended you. You are right, I was talking beer when I should have said cider.

Back