First Cider Brew Attempt!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyfoxuk

Reaction score
Can anyone help... Im looking at brewing the Mrs some kind of raspberry cider can anyone recommend an easy fast way please...? Ive been reading Nottingham yeast is a good one to use... But how much sugar etc is required and would I need to back sweeten this...? Sorry im a novice lol! Any help would be great. Cheers all!

Nottingham or S-04 Ale yeast. Apple juice and whole raspberries. I don't backsweeten but I don't like it sweet. The Ale yeast will turn out sweeter that Wine or Champagne yeast but it won't be a "sweet" cider.

Nottingham or S-04 Ale yeast. Apple juice and whole raspberries. I don't backsweeten but I don't like it sweet. The Ale yeast will turn out sweeter that Wine or Champagne yeast but it won't be a "sweet" cider.
I'll have to try an ale yeast next time I do a cider. I've done one earlier this year with my home grown apples but I used a cider yeast and it came out really dry and sharp, so it's in need of back-sweetening. So what I do is back-sweeten it as I drink it with a dash of apple juice and it's great. Another tip I heard about is to add in some pear juice when making the cider as pear juice contains more unfermentable sugars so it will leave some residual sweetness to balance it.

I've also heard a good trick is adding an ice cube made out of Apple juice.

Could I make it using Nottingham yeast, sugar and raspberry juice...? How would I back sweeten...? Pear juice sounds a good option! That ice cube trick sounds like a plan too :)

Could I make it using Nottingham yeast, sugar and raspberry juice...? How would I back sweeten...? Pear juice sounds a good option! That ice cube trick sounds like a plan too :)
When I mentioned the pear juice the intention is to ferment some pear juice along with the apple juice as it will leave more residual sweetness than apple juice, but yeah you could use it back-sweeten.

Just to clarify, actual back-sweetening requires killing off the yeast so that they don't ferment out the additional sugars added, then you will not be able to bottle carb it. My improv form of back-sweetening is to add the apple juice at time of drinking.

If your looking for easy Welchs makes a raspberry/Apple frozen concentrate. You could get those and modify the Frozen Concentrate wine recipe from the wine recipe forum. Thats what I plan to do at least.

What temp does cider best ferment at...? What FG should I be aiming for...? Thanks

Would I be able to use juice concentrate if so how much would use...? Thanks

Hi guys, so ive started with raspberry juice and the nottingham yeast... where should i head from there...? Cheers.

Ok cool... this was just store bout juice... no adding of sugar. Am i heading in the right direction...? Thanks

Ok cool... this was just store bout juice... no adding of sugar. Am i heading in the right direction...? Thanks

Remember that while some juices taste really good, it's the sugar in them that makes them taste that way. Raspberry juice is actually quite tart and acidic, and may not be great in flavor when the sugar is fermented out. Most people who make raspberry wine from raspberries do some adjustments with acid and diluting with water to make it more palatable. That's not to say yours won't be drinkable, but be prepared for a very tart (I mean, very very tart) drink when it's done.

That can be corrected later by stabilizing with sorbate and campden and then sweetening to taste, or using artificial sweeteners if you want to carbonate, but for now just let it sit until it's clear.

If you arnt turned off by the taste you can use some splenda when you add your priming sugar. ( I'm assuming your bottling and want it carbed) the yeast will eat the priming sugar but leave the artificial swetener alone.

Back