First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corp_T

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a brew kit and a Red Ale Ingredient Kit.:ban:

From everything I read I can't believe how strong the smell was during boiling. I literally managed to chase my wife upstairs with the smell. Thank god she loves me otherwise she would have thrown the boil out the window.

I have one question though. My boiling pot can only hold 3 gal when filled to the brim. Will I lose out on too much flavor since I'm boiling 2.5 gal and have another 2.5 in the bucket ready to mix?

Welcome to the club. I just started homebrewing two months ago.
Most recipes will only call for a 2-3 gallon boil and have you add the rest of the water straight into the fermenter after.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Following the directions though they only talk about 5 gallon boils. I knew some recipes allowed smaller boils but just wanted to make sure.

Way to go! I just put my very first batch in the fermentor yesterday (Amber Ale). Cool idea about adding water after the boil to hasten the wort cool. Wish I'd thought of that yesterday. However, in spite of my inexperience I have a vigorously active airlock today! :rockin:

How bad was the smell, really? My boil just made the house smell like bread, mostly...

It didn't smell that bad, to me at least. I dunno really how to describe the smell though. Really the only part that had a strong odor was the grain. I just got everything in the fermentor and got cleaned up. Can't wait to have mine active.

Congrats,
I hear on the smell issue. My SWMBO has the same complainant. I don't really notice it , but she came home after I finished my second batch and said that the whole house smelled like beer. I thought that was a good thing, but she informed me otherwise. How do others deal with the smell? I think I will just push her for a outdoor set up!

Using a full boil will help reduce the chance of scorching the wort, especially when making high gravity beers and it greatly reduces the chance of a boil over. Other than that, it won't make much difference in the final product.

The smell of wort is a definite wife repellent, especially after the hops are added. Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life. ;)

Tom

I only use a 3 gal kettle, and add 3 gallons to the bucket. I don't quite get 5 gallons of beer (usually 4-4.5 gal).

On the smell issue, I only brew when my SWMBO is at work, but the smell stays around for a few days, so instead of buying me a 5 gal kettle like I asked, she bought me.... AN AIR PURIFIER with Ionizer. It gets the smell out of the room quickly.

I'm solving the smell problem by getting an outdoor setup. I think yesterday was a blessing because I don't think she'll fight me for it.:mug:

Bingo!! and Congrats on the first batch.

Revvy will be here soon, so I'll beat him too it.

"STEP AWAY FROM THE BEER IN THE FERMENTER"

As per Revvy. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Cheers to Revvy and best of luck heading his advice. =)

Bingo!! and Congrats on the first batch.

Revvy will be here soon, so I'll beat him too it.

"STEP AWAY FROM THE BEER IN THE FERMENTER"

As per Revvy. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Cheers to Revvy and best of luck heading his advice. =)

But if I step away from the beer I can't yell "Bubbles Bubbles Bubbles" every time it burps.:(

Actually my only problem right now is keeping the cats away from it. They want to jump up and down on the lid. I'm probably going to move it upstairs where they can't get to it later today since the only closet downstairs I can put it in is right next to the furnace.

Back