First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybrew

Reaction score
My girlfriend bought me a brew kit from Best Brew back in November, and I haven't got around to experimenting with it until this past weekend. Kit seems like a pretty nice starter kit from what I've seen. Came with a 5gal kettle, 5 gal carboy, 6 or 7 gal fermentor and a similar sized bottling bucket. Then a lot of extra stuff like auto syphon, hydrometer, thermometer, 48 bottles, capper and all that stuff....pretty much all you need to get started.

Anyway, the kit that came with it was an Amber Ale kit. Not exactly a summer beer, but then again she did get it for me back in November haha. Everything has gone pretty smoothly so far. I've got about 4 full days of fermentation, and the krausen has already came, and started to disappear. I took my first hydrometer reading today (day 4) and it was 1.012 which from what I've read is right on target.

I even had a taste of what was in the testing tube...i know it wasnt going to be good, but I was curious. Just took a sip and held it in my mouth a little and then spit it out. Tasted like an Amber Ale, just a little sour and not quite finished, but i think im on the right track.

I was a little worried at first because the wort was around 81* F for the first 24 hours, and then around 75 for a few hours after that. I put a wet tshirt and a fan on it and got it down to mid 60's so I'm a little worried I messed it up having it so hot initially, but i guess we'll wait and see.

Im already completely addicted to brewing. I already bought another fermenter and carboy so i can get a 2nd batch going.

I've trolled around this site for about the past 2 weeks just reading as much as i could before i started the brew....its insane how complex this "hobby" can get. But it's fun...cant wait to start the 2nd brew this weekend.

Congratulations...you may have some off flavors due to the temp being so high, but it still should be fine...I would strongly recommend leaving it in the primary for three weeks, 2 weeks for fermentation and 1 week to condition...then bottle and forget for 3 weeks, drink and repeat process with a different kit!

Back