First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've done my first brew and after 3 weeks maturing it is ready to drink....

Now i did not apply any extra pressure with CO2 and pressure seems to perhaps be an issue;

I can pour just about a pint a day and it sprays out from pressure for this first pint. After that the pressure seems to go and the rest just 'glugs' out.
THe beer is not flat, it is nicely carbonised like a pint on tap, no way as fizzy as some bottled ale. but i dont know if this lack of pressure might cause problems later on?
Is there anythng i can look out for?
The keg is a brand new youngs 5 Gallon pressure barrel,

Any help ideas v welcome

Cheers
Chirs

What is your pressure setting on the regulator (PSI)? Also what pressure did you force carb at, serving pressure or above? Does your beer line run striaght up from your keg to your faucet or is there a dip in the line and then it goes back up? Sometimes this week cause bubbles to build up in the "dip" and be released upon first drawing a pint.

gonzoflick said:
What is your pressure setting on the regulator (PSI)? Also what pressure did you force carb at, serving pressure or above? Does your beer line run striaght up from your keg to your faucet or is there a dip in the line and then it goes back up? Sometimes this week cause bubbles to build up in the "dip" and be released upon first drawing a pint.
I agree with the last post... I recently found that by keeping my lines above the posts kept my beers pouring great.

Are you talking about a kegging system with a separate O2 bottle, such as Corny kegs or are you talking about a plastic pressure barrel, like a KingKeg or Beer Sphere?

The above posts are talking about proper Keg systems but to me pressure barrel means the plastic type.

I have a stout conditioning in a beer Sphere (first try at a stout and first use of the sphere! Needs another week before I try it) and have heard mixed results as to how well they work, but I like to try new toys and cant fit a kegerator in my flat so hope the sphere works ok.

If you don't have a CO2 source, you will probably run into problems as the beer level decreases. Here's what is probably happening:

Pre-pour: Beer has reached "equilibrium" (pressure in the head space is constant, keeping the dissolved CO2 in the beer constant as well).

During the pour: You are decreasing the amount of pressure by increasing the volume in which undissolved gas has to reside. So it pours quickly at first, then more slowly as the pressure decreases.

Post-pour: Pressure in the vessel has decreased, so CO2 comes out of solution until "equilibrium" again.

The problem: Fermentation is finished, so you have a finite amount of CO2 to work with. Repeating this cycle will eventually cause your beer to go completely flat.

I understand what you mean, however my friend did a brew and let it condition in a king keg, he didnt add any co2 and had constant pressure

chris

The pressure comes from co2 produced by the beer. In a closed container it will build up and carbonate the beer. This builds preassure in the vessel and thus you can despense. As you despense you will need to be replacing the beer that is coming out with something and if you don't have a co2 set-up it will be replaced by air or your container will collapse. The only way to have preassure renewed for despensing is by either adding more from an external source (CO2 tank) or giving the container time to repreassurize naturally by either continued fermentation or most likely the movement of CO2 from the beer into the head space of your vessel. In other words, or in short, your beer will go flat without the use of external CO2.

Ok thanks for the advice, what do i require to repressurise a simple pressure barrel? do i need a PSI gauge or something?

Cheers
Chris

If you drink it all fast enough, like at a party, then you can drink it all before it goes flat.

When I used to use one of those, I used a small CO2 cartridge, and adapter. I can't remember if it attached to the barrel or the cap, but it worked pretty well.

-a.

Ok, so ive noticed its goin flat like, the more i drink the more flat, which makes sense with the theory...
so if i re-carb will it just pressurise the barrel...or will it carbonate the beer as well...
or will it repressurise the barel and then the beer will slowly re-carb....
or do i need more sugar to re carb...or have i ruined it....ohh and its starting to taste soo goood!...

Chris

Back