First Brew - Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albadia

Reaction score
Howdy! Figured after spending 3-4 hours a day browsing these forums for the past 4 weeks while my first batch sat in the closet, I wanted to introduce myself and "get involved" as it were.

I'm Drew (Albadia), from Northern Cali. Got into brewing when my old boss started doing it and really started getting me into beer in general. Then finally decided to take the plunge when the missus and I bought a house where I had some room to do it. Starting with extract but I'm already planning how to go AG as affordable as possible once I weasel that money out of the wife =D

First batch was a MoreBeer! American IPA kit with Magnum for bittering and Cascade for flavor. Wanted something straightforward and simple. Was super jazzed when I nailed my OG (1.061 after adjusting for temp, called for 58-62).

I went through all the usual newbie anxieties I think over the past 25 or so days. I'm using a bucket for my first batch so of course.. is it working? Is it fermenting? Did I pitch right? I dropped the yeast packet in, hope I didnt screw it up! Why isn't it bubbling more? etc. But I resisted the urge to open that bucket till the day I said I would do it!

Cracked it open tonight and... it was beautiful! Nice little crusty ring around the top, everything had settled out, beer was nice and clear. Smelled amazing. Tasted pretty dang good all things considered (warm and flat). I was a little worried about off flavors because until I get my fermentation chamber up and running (next project!) It just sits in a nice dark closet in the corner. But no funny tastes. Boss had some good Willamette leaf hops lyin around so threw that in for some dry hop action today. Thinkin the earty/woody should go well with the cascade. We'll find out =D Then just gotta pull it out on Saturday and keg it!

Anyway.. that's my Beer Diary for the day. Just wanted to thank everybody on HBT. I feel like my brewing knowledge and general beer knowledge came almost entirely from here, and places/books recommended on here. Any success I have is owed to my mentor/friend, and what I got from here so..

Brew on :rockin:

Broke it out today! Carbed in 48 hours perfectly as to the Force Carb instructions I found over in the kegging forum.

American IPA. Extra Pale Extract, Magnum, Cascade, DH w/Willamette. 1.061 down to 1.014. Pretty respectable. Being used to drinking a lot of "west coast" style IPA's this one is pretty mellow but not bad. It is a little sweet in the middle which... not really sure where that came from. But finishes clean, still tasty.

Not bad for a first batch!

Back