First Brew Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerMark89

Reaction score
My wife gave me a brew kit for my birthday but the recipe doesn't exactly match the contents of the kit.

I have a 3.75lb can of Coopers Real Ale Hopped Malt Concentrate
A 3 lb bage of Muntons Light Dried Malt Extract. (generic recipe says to use 2lbs of dried malt?)

Do I use the entire can of Malt and the entire bag of Dried Extract.

I was planning about a week ferment in the plastic 5 gallon fermentor and then a transfer into the glass carboy for another two weeks before bottling.

I'm not overly stressed about this since I enjoy all beer but I would appreciate any tips if you have experience with this kit or one similar.

It really depends on what you wanna do. The more sugar (DME) you put in to the fermenter, the more alcohol % you will have.

What yeast strain did it include with it?

If you want to follow the instructions and only put 2lbs of DME in, just put 2/3 of the package.

In addition to the can of malt and dry malt have the yeast packet and g 5 oz bottling sugar.

The recipe says to boil 1 gallon of water and add the warmed "unhopped" malt extract. (my extract is malted)

After returning to a boil add 2lbs of dried malt extract and return to boil.

Finally add hop pellets (not in kit but remember I have the malted extract), return to boil and boil for 30 minutes.

Top off to 5 gallons with cold water and add yeast packet. It doesnt mention cooling wort to a specific temperature.

Thanks in advance for any imput.

If you have the Coopers Real Ale kit, all you need to do is
- clean and sanitize everything
- warm the can (easier to get extract out),
- mix extract with boiled water
- mix in the DME (slowly and stirring quite a bit - very clumpy/sticky)
- top off with cold water to the 5 gallon mark.
- Check the gravity with a hydrometer.
- Once the temp gets about 75 (at least under 80) you can pitch the yeast and stir. Then lid, attach air lock/blow off, and leave alone for 3-4 weeks. No need to add hops since the 'real ale' kit is pre hopped. Use all the DME. No need for secondary, the extra time in primary will let it clear nicely. I've done a Coopers kit and the extra time in primary helped it come out very clear!

Back