First brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewntang

Reaction score
So I finished my first brew and hit very close to my numbers. My only nervousness is that I kept the lid on my kettle about 3/4 of the way for 60 minutes on a 90 minute boil. When I took it off at 60 minutes, there was a grey foam stuck to the bottom of the lid. I kept the lid off the rest of the boil and sanitized it before i put the wort chiller in. Should I be worried about DMS? I obviously won't repeat the mistake but the grey film was strange to me. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

I boil with the lid mostly on. Takes less heat applied to the bottom of the kettle to maintain a rolling boil. I do wipe condensation from the underside of the lid periodically. DMS may be more likely with pilsen malts than other malts.

Foaming to the lid could either mean a very small boil kettle or to vigorous of a boil. Grey foam may have been hop debris colored by your ingredients.

I used a german pilsner malt

Unfortunately i doubt it was hop debris because i discovered it right before I added my first hops.

I did have a short boil over when i was tweaking my burner setup.

The way pilsner malt is modified these days I would say you're probably ok...I regularly only boil my pilsner malts recipes for 60 minutes and have no issues

I used a german pilsner malt

Unfortunately i doubt it was hop debris because i discovered it right before I added my first hops.

I did have a short boil over when i was tweaking my burner setup.

i think Flars meant hot break material. You probably noticed a lot of it stuck to the sides of the kettle too. Totally normal, it just means that the foam reached the lid.:ban:

I gotcha. That makes me feel at ease. The airlock was bubbling 5 hours after I pitched so I know there is some activity in there. Fingers crossed for no DMS flavors. Thanks everyone!

Back