First brew - not a panic but fermentation cone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moshmeister

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 5 days into fermenting my first brew (Coopers Stout in the Coopers DIY kit) and am a bit worried about how it's fermenting and have a question I can't see an answer for.

Temperature is around 22c-23c and I started getting Krausen after about 24hrs so all was good, then since day 4 there's been no activity at all. It's just sitting there quietly with a few bubbles sitting on top and that's it.

My question is, is it still fermenting even though there's no signs of activity? I thought fermentation took about a week, not 3 days!

Thanks in advance

Mosh

More precisely it isn't done. when all the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll now slowly,uneventfully,ferment down to FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Thanks guys - I love this forum, unbelievably quick and helpful advice offered!

I was thinking of waiting about 1-1/2 weeks until I bottle. Do you think given the slightly higher-than-wanted temperature this is still a good plan?

22-23C (71.6-73.4F) is a little high,but not too dangerously so. Just give it about a week after FG is reached so the yeast,after having eaten all the simple sugars go after their own fermentation by products. These are the by products that we see as off flavors. This how they "clean up" the beer.
But in the case of Cooper's ale yeast,can be fruity esters as well. Being an English derived yeast,they're known for producing these esters.The cooler it ferments,the less esters it produces. All yeasts are basically like that with whatever ester they produce.

Hi

I do the Coopers Irish Stout kit a lot and I'd say don't worry. In my limited experience it goes mental for 2-4 days then calms down.

I'd leave it for three weeks and then do the usual gravity reading thing before you bottle/keg.

If you are worried at then moment take a gravity reading every day or two to see if things are ticking along.

Latest posts

Back