First Brew, no time for a starter! :[

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulseyou

Reaction score
First brew tomorrow. Picking up everything the morning of.
Estimated OG is going to be 1.071 for an AG Hoppy American Amber.
Should I use dry/liquid yeast? Multiple packets? Rehydrate? Help a n00b!

Since you don't have time to make a starter with liquid yeast, I would just rehydrate a packet of Safale 05 for the style you're brewing. Safale 05 is a good dry yeast. I've used it many times. Good luck!

Since you don't have time to make a starter with liquid yeast, I would just rehydrate a packet of Safale 05 for the style you're brewing. Safale 05 is a good dry yeast. I've used it many times. Good luck!

Yep. Good advice and a good yeast strain.

Rick

You've probably got your stuff already but I third the motion to use US05, rehydrate for best results.

1.070 is borderline for multiple packets. Frankly, if I only had one, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I think you would be ok and the time spent worrying about it is time better spent making sure your beer is fermenting in the low 60's. That's going to be more important to the finished beer than if you underpitched a little.

And I've personally started rehydrating. Lots of people don't and make beer, but even the dry yeast manufacturers are recommending it now.

For dry, US-05 is great, for liquid maybe WLP001. Both supposed to be clean American Ale strains.

Latest posts

Back