First Brew - Mold in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimsuarez

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question...

Just made my first brew yesterday, a Pliny the Elder clone, and got the carboy filled and set-up with a spill off tube and bucket. Everything went really well in the boil and set-up.

But tonight I checked on it and the spill off tube had fallen out. Now there are brown spots and some white chunks in the foam and I'm worried it is mold. Wasn't sure if it was clumps of yeast or mold, as I don't know what it should look like.

Fixed it and now its begun bubbling. Just wondering if it looks like mold and if it has completely ruined the batch?

photo-1-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Looks like good yeast activity to me. Solid krausen, it's possible it could have gotten infected but I think you're probably alright

You're golden, that is all perfectly normal and no baddies will get in with all that CO2 blowing off, even without a tube. Fermentation ain't pretty :)

Agreed, that's not mold, I wouldn't be concerned!! Nice choice of beer on your first batch, I'm going to be making that in the next few batches!

Looks like a healthy fermentation to me! You'll get used to what different yeasts look like during fermentation. I once had one that looked like worms growing on top of it - can't remember what yeast it was but I remember it turned out really tasty.

Back