First Brew 2nd opinion - am I fermenting ok.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlinScott

Reaction score
Long story short I did my first brew on Saturday. So I'm coming up on 72 hrs and not seeing anything out of the airlock. So I took a quick peak under the lid to see what there was to see and rather than sticking my face up to it I snapped a quick pic.

Based on this I think I'm fine but thought I'd get a 2nd opinion so I can RDWHAHB.

To me it looks like its going ok, just not enough Co2 in there yet to be pushing out the lock. Maybe there's a bit too much head room?

Thoughts?

ferment.jpg

The yeast is WYEAST 1056. I did do a starter, but it was my first one, and I did it a bit early so I was a little nervous about that as well.

The other thing is that I think might be slowing it down is that the temp in the room where the fermenter is. WYeast says the range for this yeast is 60-72 and that room is running between 58 and 62. It's the best (safest) place I have in my house to leave the fermenter, but I wonder if the cool temp might be stressing the yeast too much.

The yeast is WYEAST 1056. I did do a starter, but it was my first one, and I did it a bit early so I was a little nervous about that as well.

The other thing is that I think might be slowing it down is that the temp in the room where the fermenter is. WYeast says the range for this yeast is 60-72 and that room is running between 58 and 62. It's the best (safest) place I have in my house to leave the fermenter, but I wonder if the cool temp might be stressing the yeast too much.

You are fine. 58-62 ambient temp is a great temp for fermenting ales. Let it sit for a few weeks, bottle and enjoy.

Welcome to the addiction.

Sometimes I do not get airlock activity. I think this is because my fermenter lid is not a good seal. But when I open the fermenter and see activity like your photos show - you know you are good.

Mike

You are fermenting. You aren't getting bubbles because your bucket almost certainly has a leak somewhere in the seal. This is extremely common with buckets, but nothing is wrong. If there is even a pinhole leak, the CO2 escapes there instead of the airlock (path of least resistence).

Thanks guys. I kind of figured things were ok so I wan't totally freaking out. But having confirmation from those more experienced than myself, DOES make me feel better. Now I feel like I can just leave it alone (what I should have done anyway) and start planning my next batch while I wait for this one to finish.

Again, thanks to everybody for the input. Truly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I kind of figured things were ok so I wan't totally freaking out. But having confirmation from those more experienced than myself, DOES make me feel better. Now I feel like I can just leave it alone (what I should have done anyway) and start planning my next batch while I wait for this one to finish.

Again, thanks to everybody for the input. Truly appreciated.

A great idea....being busy with more brewing helps force your patience; leaving the beer making to the yeast, they are much better at it than we are :)

You are fermenting. You aren't getting bubbles because your bucket almost certainly has a leak somewhere in the seal. This is extremely common with buckets, but nothing is wrong. If there is even a pinhole leak, the CO2 escapes there instead of the airlock (path of least resistence).

So thinking of this just gave me another question. If my bucket isn't sealed correctly; should I be concerned that the beer will get contaminated? If there is a leak letting CO2 out, is it also letting bad stuff in?

So thinking of this just gave me another question. If my bucket isn't sealed correctly; should I be concerned that the beer will get contaminated? If there is a leak letting CO2 out, is it also letting bad stuff in?

Nope. there will be enough pressure from the co2 leaving to prevent anything from going in. Just don't dip a finger in or anything!

Back