First bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to bottle my first batch. Questions:

1) Is it necessarily to let the bottles fully dry after sanitizing? I am using Star San.

2) Is it necessary to sanitize caps? If so, should I boil them, or just soak them in Star San?

Thanks!

no if using star san the bottles do not have to be dry and yes the caps do need to be sanitized and star san will do just fine good luck

You shouldn't boil the caps because it could damage the seal on them. Just make a bowl of star san and get them soaking before you start bottling.

If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive. I just soak my caps when sanitizing my bottles with my vinator, I just drop them in the bowl of the vinator, and take one out as needed.

Here's a lot of bottling tips to make the job easier. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Back