First "Blown Away" Beer I've had in a while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I have always loved this beer and for the first time I had it bottled tonight. Every other time it was on tap so I think serving temp may be why I loved this beer, but was never blown away by it.

The beer is the Brown Ale from Legend Brewery in Richmond, Virginia. It is just an all around fantastic beer so anyone close to VA, I recommend you keep and eye out.

The purpose of this post wasn't necessarily to solicit this beer, but to ask if anyone has a clone recipe. I am going to email the Brewery and ask for the recipe or at least some hints but if anyone has already tried to clone it and nailed it, please let me know!

Awesome! I will be looking out for those. I have had this beer many many times before, but tonights bottle put it in a whole nother realm. Each time I have had it was at happy hour $3 for a 32 oz mug, and it was very cold haha. It deprived my tastebuds of really enjoying it

I just had a keg of Legend Pilsner in my car on Tuesday.

image-2058857497.jpg

I had one of those moments with Great Divide's Titan. I ordered it right after I finished a Racer 5. I think Racer 5 is OK, but nothing special. When I followed it with Titan I was "blown away."

A couple weeks later I was back at the same bar and had another Titan because it was so good, and it was OK. I think it has a whole lot to do with context.

BTW I have never seen Legend beer here in Oregon. If anyone that has it available wants to make a bottle swap for some of our stuff or knows where to get it out here let me know.

trigger said:
I had one of those moments with Great Divide's Titan. I ordered it right after I finished a Racer 5. I think Racer 5 is OK, but nothing special. When I followed it with Titan I was "blown away."

A couple weeks later I was back at the same bar and had another Titan because it was so good, and it was OK. I think it has a whole lot to do with context.

BTW I have never seen Legend beer here in Oregon. If anyone that has it available wants to make a bottle swap for some of our stuff or knows where to get it out here let me know.

Where-abouts in Oregon? There's a place called John's Marketplace that has well over 1000 different varieties of beer. Largest selection I've ever seen, anywhere. It's like a toy store for beer lovers! Pretty sure they have Titan and a ton of others...

Last moment I had where I was beside myself like that was after having a 750ml of Sierra Nevada's 30th Anniversary Stout (the Fritz & Ken one). Absolutely blew my mind how much complexity was packed into the damn thing...

Where-abouts in Oregon? There's a place called John's Marketplace that has well over 1000 different varieties of beer. Largest selection I've ever seen, anywhere. It's like a toy store for beer lovers! Pretty sure they have Titan and a ton of others...

I'm in Portland. I've been to John's, it's great. I had Great Divide at Morrison Hotel, but i've seen it a couple other places. I've just never seen Legend beers here, but I'll be looking now.

Also, i don't really go to bottle shops or beer shopping. I try to frequent bars with diverse, rotating selections to broaden my horizons, and at home I really only drink homebrew or beers that people have brought to my place. I'm going to have to try to find me some legend now, though...

trigger said:
I'm in Portland. I've been to John's, it's great. I had Great Divide at Morrison Hotel, but i've seen it a couple other places. I've just never seen Legend beers here, but I'll be looking now.

Also, i don't really go to bottle shops or beer shopping. I try to frequent bars with diverse, rotating selections to broaden my horizons, and at home I really only drink homebrew or beers that people have brought to my place. I'm going to have to try to find me some legend now, though...

Give Henry's on 12th a try if you haven't already. They have a pretty diverse selection. Only problem is last time I went there they were out of my first three choices! If you're not into crowds avoid it on the weekends because it gets packed!

Also, heard the Horses Brass is good but never been there myself.

I sent an email to the head brewer requesting some assistance with trying to nail down a recipe. Hopefully he will come through for me!

Random question: How does a beer swap work? I mean is it legal to ship a bottle of beer or is it more of a don't ask don't tell with the shippin companies?

The first time I had an Arrogant Bastard I was blown away. There were distinct layers between the flavor hops, malt, and then bitter finish. I've had a dozen bombers since and never got the same result. Not sure if it was just that one batch or the context of my palate at the time, but was an amazing experience.

John's is the most amazing selection in the Pacific Northwest. I don't think any of the Seattle-area bottleshops come close.

What I love about John's is how inauspicious it is. It's not "John's Micro-Emporium," it's just "John's Market" and it has a little deli inside and your normal convenience store wares for sale.

I think it really hit me how awesome that place is when I told a friend, "Yeah, I picked this up in their Polish Beer Section." Yeah, they have a whole series of shelves of just Polish beers! :mug:

Back