First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
Worked good! Hope it turns out fine as I didn't have a hydrometer to check...

Miller Clone from the Light/Hybrid Beer section, I wanted to do something with a low grain bill as my first. Mashed at 150 in 2g for 60 minutes, dunked it in 1g 160 degree water when it was done, placed the grain bag in a colander on top of the pot and ran the sparge water back through it, threw it all together, boiled, cooled, and stuck it in the fermenter. House smells like severe malt now :)

1389475457001.jpg

1389475488950.jpg

1389475500226.jpg

1389475509827.jpg

Congrats on your first BIAB. If your grain was well crushed, your batch should turn out fine but without the hydrometer reading you won't really know how fine until you get to drink and then you'll have to drink more than one to determine the alcohol level. Have fun testing.

True, I had my lhbs use their "super fine" crusher which looked to be half of normal crush...

I did end up using Nottingham yeast as I forgot to buy us05

I have it in a closet that stays at 66, and I have in in a water bin with a towel over it

Excellent ! Ive been using the BIAB method since discovering it here ! That is how I moved to all grain and havent looked back . Ive made several 10 gallon batches that have come off without a hitch .
I think you will find it most pleasing and easier each time you do it !

Considering my 2.5 g batch only cost me $6 as opposed to $15 with extract....

My lhbs charges me $1.52 for flaked corn, $1.37 for 6 row, and $1.15 for 2 row per pound. He buys in bulk and passes the savings on to us

Checked on my keg this morning, it is churning away at 62 degrees. Long as I can keep it like that for a week I think I will be fine adding the Amylase Enzyme at that mark with transfer to secondary.

Just drop the Amylase in the Secondary before running the wort into it? Trying to figure out how to mix it

Checked on my keg this morning, it is churning away at 62 degrees. Long as I can keep it like that for a week I think I will be fine adding the Amylase Enzyme at that mark with transfer to secondary.

Just drop the Amylase in the Secondary before running the wort into it? Trying to figure out how to mix it

Wait!!! What!! Why are you thinking of adding amylase enzyme? What are you expecting that to gain you?

Look at the miller clone recipe in the Light Hybrid Beer section...

Oh, I wanted to thank both RM-MN and DisturbedChemist for your efforts in helping me understand this process!

Back