First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackrock612

Reaction score
Well, after weeks of reading this and that, I finally put it all together. Thanks to some helpful suggestions from members on this forum, I used "BatchBuildr - MeadMakr" and TOSNA 2.0 as references, along with the book from Piatz. BatchBuildr made me realize that I didn't have as much honey as I thought. So did my scale. The "12 lb" bottle I purchased from a local honey farm added exactly 10.25 lbs of honey to my fermenter. Batchbuildr told me that instead of my 5 gallons I was anticipating, 3 gallons was correct for the amount of honey I had which is fine I suppose. The Brix of the must was 30 which was a little on the high side I thought? Maybe not... Hopefully the yeast will be up to the task, I'm hoping to get semi-sweet and not sweet as a result. I used 10g of Lalvin 71B Narbonne yeast which supposedly have an etoh tolerance of 14% or so. For water, I used room temp tap with one crushed Campden tablet mixed in 5 gallons of water which I let sit for about 20 minutes or so. I had been thinking about boiling it or running it through my charcoal filter, but the Piatz book says the sulfer gets rid of the chlorine/chloramine efficiently, so we'll see. I did use 10g of goferm to rehydrate the yeast. At the last minute, I almost just rehydrated the yeast by themselves in water, but I had the goferm so I used it anyway. Now, I'm planning on using my big spoon to stir twice a day to degas. The Batchbuildr app says to stir two times a day for a week, which seems kind of long to me... I would expect a few days, sure, but a week? If the fermentation is really bubbling at a week, I don't know that I should be stirring it? Thoughts on this? I'm also going to do Fermaid O additions at 24, 48, and 72 hours, plus a final addition at 1/3 sugar consumed (so 20 Brix) or no later than 7 days from pitching of yeast. I read that stirring the must and then mixing the fermaid into a cup of the must before making the additions was the way to go. Overall, I've learned quite a bit about mead-making over the last few weeks thanks to this forum mostly. I used to brew a lot of all-grain homebrew a long time ago. This is the first thing I've made in a long time and it was a pleasant experience. I definitely like not having all the brew equipment to clean up at the end! Please chime in with any suggestions, I'm always looking for ways to improve as I know next to nothing about making mead. Thanks very much!

Sounds like you are well on your way. I do not stir mine past the 1/3 break. Some folks go to 1/2 and i did for a while but saw no appreciable differemce in doubg so. No real negatives either so your call.

Glad you got to it. Will be interested in hearing how it turns out,

Back