First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick135

Reaction score
Hi there! So far I want to say this forum has been an amazing resource in getting started with this hobby.

Just racked my first batch (2 1g jugs) into secondary where I plan to let it age and taste it along the way.

Fresh local cider (UV treated)
Cider House Yeast+ Nutrient

OG of 1.60

My main question right now is that
The secondary is only filled to just above the shoulder of the jug. Im worried about storing it with all the room for oxygen. I added a crushed campden tablet to each, but am not sure if this is sufficient for long term storing.

Thanks in advance

just add some Apple Juice to top it off in your secondary. The active yeast will kick up a bit but you should be fine for long term storage.

You can fill the headspace with glass marbles. I use glass vase filler stones available in the flower arrangement section of craft stores.

22914729496_416b72d0c6_z.jpg

Wash and sanitize them first of course.

22645252139_dd1d5072e0_z.jpg

Thank you both for the helpful tips. I elected to consolidate the two batches into one. This allowed me an excuse to drink what was left. I couldn't wait any longer. Nothing like catching a buzz on your own brew.

Fermentation lasted about 5 days.

OG: 1.60
Final: 1.00
70* F

Final ABV ~7.8%

(9 days total) I realize this cider is super young, I honestly couldn't wait any longer lol. Initial taste was extremely dry and semi bitter. Good apple finish. I added 1 tsp of sugar to the glass, stirred and tried again. MUCH BETTER! Going to let the full gallon sit until our Halloween party. I will get a lot of solid feedback from friends and family.

Photos are out of order. I'm sure you all can decipher what stage was what lol.

Thanks again for the help. :rockin:

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image1 (1).JPG

Latest posts

Back