First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiggaJames

Reaction score
I started my first batch of brew just over a week ago and the bubbling has stopped. I got the brew kit from Midwest supply, a Irish red ale. It says to let ferment for 2 weeks, but not sure if the lack of bubbling means its done or what. It has been at a constant 67 degrees. To cool? Any help would be great. I was also wondering if I can use the hydrometer during this process or if I should wait... Thanks

Use your Hydrometer.. Likely you will find that FG has been reached, but don't think that means that its done. After the "active" fermentation is done, there is a conditioning phase in which the yeast eat byproducts of active fermentation. Thats why the instructions say to leave it for 2 weeks... but most here would recommend 3 weeks. Never use the airlock as a fermentation guage. Just last week I did a ten gallon batch and the two fermentors were sitting side by side. One was bubbling away, the other didn't even blip in a week. Result...both beers were fully feremented... proof that an airlock doesn't guage fermentation. Now for the doubters... Both were from the same mash and keggle and simply split into two fermentors... both used rehydrated US-05 yeast.

The best indication that fermentation has stopped is the hydrometer. Take readings until your FG is reached (or close) and then allow time for conditioning. Like BigB said, most people on HBT will recommend 3-4 weeks in the primary. You can find information on HBT about the benefits of longer primary vs. secondary. Good luck and Cheers!

Latest posts

Back