First batch to keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All Ralphie wanted was a Red Rider B.B. gun and all I wanted was a keg system... Thanks to my wife, I can shoot my liver out with style!

I am a basement brewer and I am adding the finishing touches to my heated fermentation chamber to accommodate my fourth batch-(5gal. IPA Extract mini mash) which I plan to start this Sunday.

I am going to keg for the first time and in search of the most satisfying home brew! Therefore I have a few questions for you.....

- primary duration (plastic) -2 weeks?
- secondary duration (glass) -1 week?
- introducing o2 -PSI/duration/temp

In the few batches I have completed, I see the importance of allowing enough time to mature.

Let me know where you went wrong.... Or even better, let me know what you did right in this case!!

- primary duration (plastic) -2 weeks?
- secondary duration (glass) -1 week?
- introducing o2 -PSI/duration/temp

Primary: Overall for the beers I brew 3 weeks is plenty and gives the yeast time to clean up after fermentation. Some obviously can take longer though.

Secondary: Unless you're dry hopping and or adding something else and want to wash the yeast I'd skip this part.

O2: This sticky from the Bottling/Kegging section is a great resource for force carbing. Or you can use the "set it and forget it method" of setting your O2 at around 12psi and leaving it for a week or two (I forget).

Thanks guys! I get A.D.D when I am searching this HB forum. Kinda hard not to deviate when their is so much useful information available on this art form!

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Cheers!

Back