First Batch!!! Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gjohnson

Reaction score
So I started my fist batch and it is in the basement fermenting. I am very excited about the this and hope it will be a hit.

My question is related to burning about an 7-8" area in the bottom of my pot while I was boiling the specialty grains. It hardened very hard and mostly stuck to the bottom of the pot. I did accidently scape a piece up but was able to catch it in a strainer and get it out. I am sure there where other small pieces that I didn't get out. My question is will this ruin the batch, cause off flavors et. Hope it doesn't , the brew smelled very good before I put it away.

Thanks.
GJohnson

first off dont boil specialty grains you steep them. steeping means you heat the water to about 165 turn flame down to retain temp around that same degree not to precise then cover for 20 min. your issue may have created some off flavors. but no worries its just beer it will get better as you practice. and it probably didnt destroy the beer good luck

If you boiled your specialty grains, and then it also sounds like you burned them. You will likely have some burnt coffee taste to youe beer. What was your receipe?

Back