first batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colbylouis

Reaction score
I just finished the boil for my first batch, and noticed that the guys at the homebrew store forgot to give me the BruVigor packet to toss in when i transfer my wort into the fermenter. If i add the yeast food tomorrow or when I rack the beer later is it going to cause any major issues?

colbylouis said:
I just finished the boil for my first batch, and noticed that the guys at the homebrew store forgot to give me the BruVigor packet to toss in when i transfer my wort into the fermenter. If i add the yeast food tomorrow or when I rack the beer later is it going to cause any major issues?

If the beer is fermenting tomorrow, I wouldn't even bother putting that stuff in.

Personally, I think those yeast energizers and foods are scams. Good wort has plenty of nutrients in it. Dry yeast or starters made from a liquid yeast have plenty of yeast in them. That's all you need.

-walker

i'm using a liquid yeast, and as soon as the wort cools down i'm going to put it into the primary, and i'll take your word for it and skip the bruvigor. i'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks

colbylouis said:
i'm using a liquid yeast, and as soon as the wort cools down i'm going to put it into the primary, and i'll take your word for it and skip the bruvigor. i'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks

Be sure to shake the primary or pour it in with lots of spalshing. You need to get air dissolved in there so that the yeast can mutiply properly.

It'll work fine.

-walker

Yeast food isn't a scam, it can help with all-extract recipes. But, since it only impacts the initial growth phase, there is no point in adding it once the ferment starts. I use it for ciders and wines. If I made mead, I'd use it there also.

david_42 said:
Yeast food isn't a scam, it can help with all-extract recipes.

I'm going to need some convincing here. :D

What is there, nutrient-wise, in your AG wort that is not found in an extract-based wort? Extract is just wort with some or all water removed, so... once re-hydrated, what's the difference?

Back