first batch - question on when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
I just finished my first 5 gallons.

I did a reading last night and i am at 1.07 and am ready to bottle.

The top of the beer still has some of the Krausen. Not a lot mind you, but enough that it does not seem to be interested in falling to the bottom.

Fermentation is pretty much done and I would like to bottle (free up my carboy for another batch), but Im concerned I either did something wrong or I need to take a different action to get the rest to drop.

IPA - Fermentation was in my basement at 65 degrees.

should I :
Rack to a secondary?
wait another week?
Just bottle and sacrifice the top layer

Ive read that chilling it further will help, but I dont have a fridge large enough to handle the carboy.

thanks for your help all.

Did you only take one reading? Or did you take one a few days ago also?

Take readings for 3 days in a row. If it doesn't change, fermentation is done and you can bottle!

When you siphon to your bottling bucket you'll be siphoning below the top layer. Just try to keep as much of the trub and left over krausen out as you can. I suspect that its just excess hops and such you are seeing though.

If you are 1.07 there is no way the beer is done. Are you at 1.007?

Also, what yeast did you use? I'd leave the beer in primary for at least 2 weeks so it will clear and cleanup.

It's probably done fermenting, but be patient. Leave it on the yeast for a total of two weeks. Then bottle, you'll be happier with the end product.

It's probably done fermenting, but be patient. Leave it on the yeast for a total of two weeks. Then bottle, you'll be happier with the end product.

I agree with this...even if it is done, let the yeasties clean up after themselves a bit. You could even raise the ferment temp a couple degrees to help with that.

IPA? Are you doing a dry hop?

how long has it been in primary? Like some of the above posts, even if it is done fermenting, I would leave it alone for a total of 2-3 weeks. Post fermentation, the yeast continue to metabolize various compounds that they produced during the fermentation - the result is a better tasting, "cleaner" beer - this also give more time for much of the yeast to settle out, which will leave you with a clearer beer as well.

And I agree, if this is an IPA you should be dry hopping it.

Latest posts

Back