First Batch of Mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STL_Lucas

Reaction score
So I've been brewing beer for a short time and I'm really intrigued by the idea of mead (I haven't tried any yet) so I thought for a few bucks I would go ahead and try a 1 gallon batch. If I like it i'll make a 5 gallon batch if not I'll try another 1 gallon batch and move on. Kind of tough to find good details on making but I'm looking for help with primary fermentation and nutrient/energizer.

Recipe
3lbs California Orange Blossom Honey
1g Filtered Spring Water
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast Energizer

So I'll basically mix up the honey, water, and yeast nutrient in the fermenter and aerate. Pitch yeast. Add Energizer at 24, 48 and 72 hours. Then at about a week I'll rack into a 1g glass jug for about 2-3 weeks, then bottle for 6 months to a year?

I think thats the just of it but I need help with the following.

How much nutrient should I add to a 1 gallon batch?

How much energizer should I add each time? 24/48/72?

Should I rehydrate the yeast first or pitch in dry?

Should I use the whole yeast packet for a 1g batch or just half?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

I'll answer what I can.

1. If you have that LD Carlson "Yeast nutrient" it shoudl say how much per gallon on the bottle (I think its like a tsp)

2. This is up for debate, you can add up to 80% up front no worries. But to make it easy I usually do 1/2, 1/4, 1/4. Some people load it all up front (but its better to save a little for the yeast later)

3. I pitch dry all the time with no issues (especially in 1 gallon batches)

4. Half is fine. Keep the rest in the fridge for next time.

Thanks for the response. Also what do you recommend for optimum fermentation temps. I usually closet ferment my ales at about 68 or so. Will this work best or is room tempeture ok?

If you can keep it between 65-70, you should be okay. As your ferment at higher temps you create fussel alcohols, which are known to give it a "hot and boozy" character.

Back