Cyser First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parks1031

Reaction score
Like the title says! Had a buddy buy some top notch cider from a farm in Maryland and found some orange blossom honey at a farmers market.

Making a 1.5 gal batch with a starting gravity of 1.07 and used Lalvin 71b for the yeast. Going to use the TOSNA 2.0 calculator for nutrients (.9g of Fermaid-O at 24, 48, 72, and 1/3 sugar break)

Plan is to back sweeten if needed and rack onto fresh apples, cinnamon, and maybe clove.

Any recommendations or tips?

Sounds like a great plan. I generally shoot for 1.070 - 1.075 for my OG, and am pleased with the results.

I use a modified TOSNA, with all nutrients divided into three doses, at 24, 48, and 72 hours. The 1/3 break seems like "busy work" to me.

I have been thinking of reducing my nutrients in future batches, as I suspect the nutrients in the AJ probably reduce the need for additional. But that said, TOSNA dosage of Fermaid-O works well for me.

I like to add bentonite in the primary to help clear. For your batch, 1/2 tsp would work.

Oak is nice in a cyser.

I back sweeten with honey if making a still cyser, and with erythritol if carbing (bottle conditioning). I like both still and carbed.

Some folks back sweeten with frozen concentrated apple juice, which sounds good, but I have never tried it.

I have added FAJC in primary, to boost the acids (and fermentable sugars). I haven't decided if I prefer that or not.

I use K1V for my camera cyser (stupid spell check!), but 71B is a popular choice.

Sometimes I add a little acid blend or malic acid in secondary if it seems it needs it.

I have never racked onto any spices or fresh apples, so nothing to suggest there. I have heard that fresh apples don't add much.

That's all I got! It will turn out great, I haven't had a disappointing cyser yet!

Last edited:
Lack of acid is often described as "flabby." Lack of tannins is often described as "lacking structure."

I am not that sophisticated. If it is lacking the tartness I expect in an apple, I add acid.

If it has no "mouth-drying" character, like tea, then I consider adding tannins. Tannin is often more a feel in your mouth rather than a taste on your tongue. In the case of an apple, think "peel" vs "flesh," the peel has more tannins.

Read the article I linked above for more thoughts about tannins.

If you are going to drink the cyser young, than added tannins (especially oak) might not be helpful. Too much or unaged, it could taste woody. So err on the side of barely there.

If you are going to age for a year or so, tannins seem to be a significant part of the process of maturing.

I put lots of opinion in this response, someone else may pipe up with better info, or different opinions. I hope they do.

Last edited:
Also good note on the fresh apples not adding much. May skip tbh and just use some spices.
I'd be tempted to try just apple peels (preferably a tart variety, such as Granny Smith), and use the apple flesh for just eating or another recipe.

Like the title says! Had a buddy buy some top notch cider from a farm in Maryland and found some orange blossom honey at a farmers market.

Making a 1.5 gal batch with a starting gravity of 1.07 and used Lalvin 71b for the yeast. Going to use the TOSNA 2.0 calculator for nutrients (.9g of Fermaid-O at 24, 48, 72, and 1/3 sugar break)

Plan is to back sweeten if needed and rack onto fresh apples, cinnamon, and maybe clove.

Any recommendations or tips?
Going on 48 hours. Slowest start to fermentation yet but finally started to see some activity this morning. My first two brews saw fermentation very fast so not sure what the deal was this go 'round. I noticed my apartment is much cooler given the time of year so I've been putting little Tupperwares with hot water in the closet I ferment in and managed to raised it a few degrees (maybe the missing component to kickstart the ferment?). Going to add my second of 3 nutrient additions in a few hours.

You didn’t mention pectinase? Is it mainly for better clearing? I’m going to set up my first cyser today, both recipes I’m looking at (Schramm’s and Denard’s BOMM) call for dates which I don’t have to hand. Perhaps I should start a new thread!

You didn’t mention pectinase? Is it mainly for better clearing? I’m going to set up my first cyser today, both recipes I’m looking at (Schramm’s and Denard’s BOMM) call for dates which I don’t have to hand. Perhaps I should start a new thread!
I did not use any pectinase. I hope it clarifies well without! I did not use dates either, I assume the recipes call for that as nutrients/tannins for the yeast? I did fail to mention I added 1/4 tsp of powdered wine tannin.

4 days in. Aerated and checked the gravity last night. We are sitting pretty at 1.032. A ton of activity now and seems to be doing very well! Leaving alone until fermentation stops. Then going to rack onto some spices to clear up. @bushpilot I think I'm going to back sweeten with non-fermentable sugar and take a stab at carbonating.

Sounds awesome. Be conservative with acid additions if you carbonate it, otherwise it may have too much "bite" when drinking.

Sounds awesome. Be conservative with acid additions if you carbonate it, otherwise it may have too much "bite" when drinking.
I will definitely reach out after fermentation to get an idea about acid additions and if they are necessary. Haven't tried carbonating yet so I'm excited for the new experience. Definitely looking for some insight on what priming sugar to use for that process but I have some time before I get there lol

Yes, let it run dry and clear. Don't do anything to stabilize it.

Swingtop (aka EZ Cap or Grolsch) bottles work well for this. Or beer or champagne bottles, but not wine bottles.

So, for carbonated meads, I start with empty 32 oz swingtop bottles. I sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar, added directly to the bottle before filling. I also put my priming sugar (dry sucrose) directly into the bottle. Then I fill the bottle to 1 inch below the top with my mead, cap, and wait for it to do it's magic.

I don't add any priming yeast. I have never had this method fail, even after 2-3 months in secondary. Even when I used campden tablets when racking to secondary, it still worked, though that may be pushing it. I suspect a longer secondary or multiple campden treatments might require yeast to be added for priming, but have never had a failure using my method.

As far as level of carbonation, 1 tsp of sugar per 32 oz bottle is a lighter carbonation, which works well in a light traditional mead. 2 tsp of sugar gives it a pretty good pop, which is what I like in my cysers. I have never pushed past 2 tsp, and have never had a bottle bomb.

Last edited:
So, for carbonated meads, I start with empty 32 oz swingtop bottles. I sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar, added directly to the bottle before filling. I also put my priming sugar (dry sucrose) directly into the bottle. Then I fill the bottle to 1 inch below the top with my mead, cap, and wait for it to do it's magic.

I don't add any priming yeast. I have never had this method fail, even after 2-3 months in secondary. Even when I used campden tablets when racking to secondary, it still worked, though that may be pushing it. I suspect a longer secondary or multiple campden treatments might require yeast to be added for priming, but have never had a failure using my method.

As far as level of carbonation, 1 tsp of sugar per 32 oz bottle is a lighter carbonation, which works well in a light traditional mead. 2 tsp of sugar gives it a pretty good pop, which is what I like in my cysers. I have never pushed past 2 tsp, and have never had a bottle bomb.
Thanks so much, this is great info. Will be putting it to use soon hopefully. Still debating if I will use any spices in secondary or if I want the cider and honey to speak for themselves. Will make the decision when I move the mead in the next few days.

Almost at the two week mark. There has been no activity in the airlock for like 5 or 6 days. Decided to check the gravity and we are sitting pretty at .995 and the cyser is so clear. Tasting it it is very very dry with a slight yeasty aftertaste, the smell is decent with notes of apple. Going to give it a week or so to settle again (some movement disturbed the lees) and then rack it onto some apples and erythritol. Trying to get an off-dry cyser with some good apple flavor and balanced acidity.

Any recommendations would be great!

fc780957-eb3c-4293-91fb-e2a23377387b.jpg
b7543c49-7fce-4783-9b7f-c3c64c652810.jpg

6e9aae5e-a406-400b-9d8c-b55d874b2818.jpg

Have moved the cyser to secondary. Going to let it clear up a little bit then in a few weeks rack it onto some monk fruit sweetener and acid to balance then age before bottling.

Latest posts

Back