First batch of beer is fermenting. I have hydrometer questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob M Brown

Reaction score
I made my first batch of beer 4 days ago. Thanks to some guidance from my brother who has done this before I only did a few things wrong.

I made a Milk Stout. The instructions on my kit say it should have an original gravity of 1.061. When I took my reading it said .09. When I took this reading it was late, around 1:30am, and I had never taken a hydrometer reading before, so I just finished the process.

I later realized that the OG I measured means that the beer is too thick. I think I should have diluted it with water to get the right OG. I think I can still do this. Should I? Should I take another reading and put in more water to get it to the right OG?

Was this a partial boil, topped off with water after the boil? If so, did you thoroughly mix the water with the wort before taking the sample?

We need the rest of the story. Was this an extract batch or did you have only grains in the recipe? What volume of beer were you supposed to end up with and is it the same as what you got?

Assuming that this was an extract kit and that your volume into the fermenter were correct, then it is a measurement error.

Was this a partial boil, topped off with water after the boil? If so, did you thoroughly mix the water with the wort before taking the sample?

It's an extract with grains kit. You can see it here
https://www.homefermenter.com/colle...s/products/milk-stout-extract-with-grains-kit

I started with 2.5 gallons. During the boil I put in more water. My brother told me to raise the water to the level of the handle rivets on the pot. I know not very scientific. Then once the wort was in the carboy he told me to raise the water level again to the level right before the the carboy begins to narrow to the spout. Also not very scientific. I should make marks on the carboy so I know how many gallons are in it. Right now I do not know how much water I put in.

I
I started with 2.5 gallons. During the boil I put in more water. My brother told me to raise the water to the level of the handle rivets on the pot. I know not very scientific. Then once the wort was in the carboy he told me to raise the water level again to the level right before the the carboy begins to narrow to the spout. Also not very scientific. I should make marks on the carboy so I know how many gallons are in it. Right now I do not know how much water I put in.

So I'll ask again... after you topped off with water in the carboy, did you thoroughly mix the water with the wort before taking the sample?

So I'll ask again... after you topped off with water in the carboy, did you thoroughly mix the water with the wort before taking the sample?[/QUOTE

I am not sure. That was a week ago now. I will remember that for future brews. If I didn’t set the density of the wort correctly then I will not be able to use the hydrometer to gauge the finishing point. I will just have to go with beer kit recommendation of two weeks.

If I didn’t set the density of the wort correctly then I will not be able to use the hydrometer to gauge the finishing point. I will just have to go with beer kit recommendation of two weeks.

You can still measure the gravity twice, 2-3 days apart, to see if it has stabilized.

I am really confused by the .09 reading. Where on the hydrometer did you read that? I don't think I can get that from anywhere on any of my hydrometers.

I am wondering if the hydrometer you have is for distillation, and you are reading a potential of .09 alcohol, or 9%. While this would not line up with 1.061 on a regular hydrometer, it would be close, and may be explained by a lack of mixing.

Back