first batch in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamescb77

Reaction score
ok i just got my first batch done and it's in the primary. it's a red ale my first reading was a 1.048. im not really sure if thats good or bad so maybe you guys can fill me in. also on my airlock it seems like if i have the lid on it the other little piece won't be able to move to let air out. is this the way it's suppose to be? im going to let this ferment for about 14 days and then move to a secondary for two weeks then bottle. let me know what you guys think. thanks jamescb77

No one can really comment on your original gravity without your recipe first. As far as the airlock is concerned, the lid should be on. Don't worry, it'll work fine. BTW, use vodka in your airlock if possible to prevent any nasty's from forming in there.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, are you using some sort of blow-out tube?

Try to keep the temperature under control at about 68-70 and your beer will be better. You can overfill the airlock. I just fill it about halfway until the inner part just floats. I use clean water and change it every 4 days.

Try to keep the temperature under control at about 68-70 and your beer will be better. You can overfill the airlock. I just fill it about halfway until the inner part just floats. I use clean water and change it every 4 days.

My airlocks have a fill line on them. I just assumed they all did, but maybe not.

ok guys my recipe goes as follows
6lbs amber dme
1.5 oz centennial hop pellets 60 min
0.5 oz centennial hop pellets last min
safale US-05 dry ale yeast

i did a 2 gallon boil and then added in the rest of the water in the fermenter. how does my reading look now

well took my first reading today most of the krauzen has fallen and there really is no bubbles anymore reading was 1.010 which seems maybe a little low for what this should be any suggestions or comments

That sounds good to me - possibly a little lower than you'd expect, but not so it'd make much difference. Looks like it'll be a nice beer.

I take it you're still going to leave it in primary for the full two weeks? That'll give the yeast time to clean up after itself.

im going to rack it to a secondary either monday or tuesday and let it sit in there for a week for a total of 13-14 days then bottle it and wait

That should be fine. For future batches you could usefully leave it longer in primary, and then use a couple of weeks in secondary for clearing. But if it's your first batch, I can see a case for getting it bottled sooner.

One thing that I was told about a million times after I made my first batch was to start my second batch immediately. With hindsight I think that's great advice - the longer you leave beer the better it gets, and it's a heck of a lot easier to wait for a beer to mature when you've got other beer already stockpiled.

congrats on the first batch. I just started brewing again and my wife things I am pure comedy as I always have to "check the beer" before we leave the house. Something about CO2 exiting an air lock that is so enjoyable. Anyway, sounds like the 1st brew went off without a hitch. Enjoy.

-Jason

well i just racked it to the secondary and all is well im going to let it sit here till next tuesday and that will make 14 days in primary and secondary combined.

well i just racked it to the secondary and all is well im going to let it sit here till next tuesday and that will make 14 days in primary and secondary combined.

l know your anxious being that it's your first batch and all, but for future reference it's not a bad idea to let them sit a bit longer in secondary. My very first batch I rushed and bottled after two weeks. Needless to say I was never a big fan of it. My second batch I decided to leave alone. It sat in primary for a couple weeks and in secondary for almost a month on top of that. It ended up being one of the best beers I ever drank, and well worth the wait.

the next two are going to sit for much longer i just want to get this one up and ready to drink thats why im doing it so quick. next im going to do an applewein and a hefe and i plan on letting both of them sit for quite some time probably more than a month on both maybe 2 on the apple

Back