First batch (in a long time) - strange things happening... looking for some advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torontobrew

Reaction score
First off, forgive me if this is a repetitive post. I have searched around and not found specific satisfaction to my question. I haven't brewed in over 10 years and have been reading like crazy and am looking forward to getting a lot more serious than my university brews.

I put down my first batch (coopers IPA) to learn and build towards grain brewing. My O.G. reading was quite low (i think) at 1.020. Having done some reading and reflection, I don't think I aerated or even mixed nearly enough before pitching (I was too concerned with hitting a pitchable temp and getting things covered up I think). Therefore, my sample for OG was likely more watery then wort. Does this make sense? possible?

I left the lid on the fermenting bucket, and hoped things would go to work. After 10 days, another gravity reading is still really low - but has changed a bit (1.015).

I am pretty sure that the wort was cooled enough to not worry about killing the yeast. The beer has been in the fermenting bucket - with lid on but no airlock (loosely covered open fermentation - as per LHBS recommendation) for 10 days - at about 68 degrees F.

Any suggestions? pitch more yeast? run around shouting? guzzle partially done batch and hope for satisfaction? I was thinking of transferring to a secondary to give me some time to be ready to bottle (which is what brings me to this). Figured I would ask here before my next move.

Thanks and don't worry - I'm not too worried - just thirsty.

if you post the amount of extract you used, we can come up with a reasonable estimate of what you SG should have been. i highly doubt 1.020 was accurate. it's probable that you didn't mix enough when topping up with water. on the other hand 1.015 is probably close to what it should finish at. check it again over the course of a few days to make sure it's stable. i'm sure it'll end up plenty drinkable. i'd just leave it in the primary for another week or so and then bottle it.

Do you have any more information that you could share with us?

What is the style, was it a full boil or partial boil, extract, all grain and any pertinent information about the boiling process such as some temperatures or if you boiled over a lot of stuff or did a really small 1 gallon boil or anything along those lines.

Maybe we can help you out, but I'm leaning towards it quite possibly not being a great beer and having really low alcohol content because if you were to bring the attenuation up even more your are going to get an even drier and even more watery beer than you think.

Give up some info and we'll see what we can figure out.

okay, thanks for the quick replies!

It was a can of coopers extract (IPA). Partial boil (1 gallon of water) to mix with extract and then top up fermenting bucket with cold water (as per brewing instructions) to get to an appropriate temperature to pitch yeast.

Cheers,
Dave

i'm sure it was within a few points of the intended gravity, which should be noted on the instructions (if it comes with any).

No notes on intended OG in instructions or on website. Can was 1.7 KG of extract.

So, are you suggesting that even if it wasn't well mixed or aerated enough that it will eventually 'mix' itself through the fermentation process?

I am guessing that waiting another week in the primary would be my best approach then? I thought perhaps racking to a glass carboy would help ensure sanitary conditions, but maybe I should let it keep working in the bucket?

Welcome to HBT!

Sounds like you had a mixing issue but no problem, it mixes very well with fermentation.

Leaving your beer in the bucket for another week or two will only benefit it by allowing the yeast to finish up its work. I leave all mine in the bucket for at least 4 weeks although usually it's more like 6 weeks.

The yeast will eat all the sugars, clean up its waste, and clear your beer just dandy in the bucket.

Wow. Here is an ultimate newbie F'up for you guys. I think if I had to show my face on the forum I would probably not even admit to this - but o the faceless internet. Here goes;

This 'kit' brew is also designed to be combined with dextrose and some light dry malt extract. My last 'can' of cooper's (12 years ago) was JUST the extract in the can + water + yeast.

So now I have an idea why things aren't happening to well at all. It's because I'm an idiot. But my question is:

could I mix up the extra sugar and extract with some boiling water and add it to the fermenter - hoping to kick start the yeast that has been in there for 10 days or am I way past that?

I guess maybe I just brewed my first batch of ultra-light beer. Great.

How hot was your boil?

I have a feeling its your aeration, but I'm curious about the boil.

I think we can fix it if you have more yeast around and some sugar or some dry malt extract.

Wow. Here is an ultimate newbie F'up for you guys. I think if I had to show my face on the forum I would probably not even admit to this - but o the faceless internet. Here goes;

This 'kit' brew is also designed to be combined with dextrose and some light dry malt extract. My last 'can' of cooper's (12 years ago) was JUST the extract in the can + water + yeast.

So now I have an idea why things aren't happening to well at all. It's because I'm an idiot. But my question is:

could I mix up the extra sugar and extract with some boiling water and add it to the fermenter - hoping to kick start the yeast that has been in there for 10 days or am I way past that?

I guess maybe I just brewed my first batch of ultra-light beer. Great.

Well, your OG would have been +/- 1.027 with only 1.7 KG of extract. I guess there are some ways to fix this. I'd recommend against sugar, as that really doesn't make very good beer. But you could boil up some light dry extract and corn sugar if you'd like. Probably around 2 pounds of dry extract would be fine, but you could add a pound of sugar if you really wanted to.

I hate to ask, but what about hops?

By the way, I think your beer already fermented out, that's why you aren't seeing any more activity and the SG is around 1.015. Taste it if you want to- I bet it tastes like weak beer because it is!

So, no need for more yeast. The yeast you've added is fine.

No hops or extra fanciness at all over here. Really, I had hoped to just start with the ultimate simple brew to get started and atleast do some learning (which I am most certainly doing now). I know there are better ways, better ingredients, and better beer - I just started off with what I know (or knew years ago).

So if I boiled up the extra extract and maybe some sugar, would I just pour that gently in to the top of the primary? Stir - or try to be as subtle as possible? Do I need more yeast or could I wait and see if the existing would be up for working away for me?

My 'Boil' was not too hot or long. Actually it was boiling water poured in to the bucket with the contents of the can. The instructions actually say 'hot tap water may be used' (I know I know, there are better ways to brew).

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for all the answers.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

I think you could salvage it by adding more sugars to it in the form of DME or something. I'd add in another set of yeasties and shake that sucker up real good.

It might not be the best, but you could prolly drink it.

I assume that you used prehopped extract, so that's fine!

I would add the extract (and sugar if you must!) to the smallest quantity of water you can and bring it to boiling just to dissolve and pasteurize. Cool it completely, to the same temperature as the beer in your fermenter, and add it very gently to your fermenter. Don't stir, as you don't want to aerate the beer now that it's been fermenting. Put the lid and airlock on, and then wait. Fermentation should start up again within 24 hours. You can swirl the bucket a little if you feel that you have to, but I wouldn't.

1st - Yooper is wise. :D

2nd - Having made some of these Coopers beers...

When you add sugar back to it, you may find that the beer is thin or that there isn't a lot of head... this is pretty par for the course as the sugars ferment out more completely than DME would.

I thought at first that you might have had a mixing problem... seems to be quite possible with these. Glad you caught it though! I Just made a pre-hopped stout kit and realised that although I had put in some DME to replace the sugars I would normally have used I still didn't put in enough to achieve the OG for the kit... caught it the same day I threw the kit on though. So... even after umpteen kits or batches... it is always possible to miss something!

Good luck!

(That IPA was the second one I made, and the all round favorite from those I have passed it on to, with the Pilsner in 2nd. Can't get them here anymore, they are discontinued from Canadian suppliers or something. Most people in my area brew pre-hopped kits, as grains is a lot of hassle or $$... not being able to get those kits is what has prompted me to move to AG soon!)

There are a couple steps in between prehopped extract and All grain that you could try as well. You could start doing extract batches with steeping grains and add your own hops. Or you can do partial mash batches. Finally AG.

Okay! thanks for all your replys and advice! Once someone (mike) wrote I think "We" can fix it, I knew I was in the right place.

With laptop in hand I boiled up and dissolved some extract, with a wee bit of sugar, let it cool and poured it carefully in. I dreamt of angry fermentation - having to hold the lid down on the bucket. Hoping for some action soon - my biggest risk now is likely an infection from too much peeking!

I think I will take those steps between (extract batch, steeping grains, etc.) on my way up to all grain (my ultimate goal), all good learning experiences I am sure. I got a little ahead of myself and managed to get 4 big sanke kegs from a brewery - but those can wait in the garage till spring anyway.

Thanks again ~ I'll update my buckets progress when there is some.
cheers

I would A) drink it and consider lesson learned, or B)make a another batch, with just water and the same hopped extract to an OG of like ~1050-1060, ferment it out, then blend the two when racking to the bottling bucket.

Back