First batch done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Just bottled my first brew! It was a stout, Otto brothers moose juices stout. OG was 1.052, FG was 1.020 on Tuesday and today. Today marked 21 days in the fermenter at 65-69*. The weird thing was that I ended up with 52 beers. My first attempt a month ago was at apple cider, which only yielded about 44 or 45. So is 52 common? I'll let you know in a month how the stout tastes.

You could've made more than 5 gallons of beer. You could've racked off more beer into the bucket.. There really isn't a solid answer for that.

It varies, my first was 48 beers, second was 54.
I brewed an IPA today and it was right at the 5 gallon mark on my carboy, but by the time I was done and the blowoff tube was in, there was already a 1" thick layer of hop material at the bottom. I'm guessing there's going to be quite a bit less than 50 beers when I bottle.
A guy I work with did a pumpkin ale and there was so much trub that he only got a little more than 3 gallons in the end.

When people ask me how many bottles in a five gallon batch of beer, I say "Usually between seven and nine six packs." There are a lot of hard to predict and random variables. It's roughly two cases. But if you're expecting two cases and you come up a little short you'll start obsessing over what you did wrong, when you did nothing wrong, you just got a little less this time.

Three weeks have passed since bottling. Just chilled the first and it's great! I'm only going to have one or two tonight, and save most for later since I know as a stout it will get better in the coming weeks and months.

I have a PM traditional stout in secondary now on bourbon soaked white oak till Tuesday. Should be great by Christmas eve. The flavors of stouts can take months to fully develope. And I pour my chilled wort through a dual layer fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. Even with cold break from the use of super moss in the boil,I wind up with about 3/8" of trub & yeast by bottling day. 51-53 bottles is fairly common to me.

Latest posts

Back