first batch bottling flavor confussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipilix

Reaction score
so i bottled my first batch on dec. 28th i did a few 1 quart bottles and a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles. ive been drinking the 12 oz bottles every other day or so to see what the flavor change would be like. the batch i made was a blonde ale extract. the 12 oz bottles seem to taste the way i thought they would. better then bud/coors but nothing special..lol..BUT the 1 quart bottles seem to be like a sparkling apple wine blonde ale. so i guess the question after the story is what could/would cause the HUGE difference in flavor? i used a bottling bucket so the ratio for sugar would be even. storage was the same for both bottles.

A larger volume sized bottle usually needs more time to carb AND condition. I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

Back