First batch bottled! Half bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainsax

Reaction score
We just finished bottling our first batch, "Anniversary Pioneer Amber Ale"! :D

We ended up having a half bottle at the end. We went ahead and capped it but I started thinking that it might have too much head space. Will it be ok? Will it actually carbonate? Is it safe?

Thanks!

Every drop counts!

First off, it should be perfectly safe when compared to the other bottles in your collection... as far as carbonation, sure... it won't be as carbed as the others and you run the chance of infection, but it'll still be beer!

You should be fine. I have even had half a bottle of beer from the wort my bottle filler dripped (into a sanitary holding container). You should be just fine.

Thanks! I'm glad it isn't wasted! I'm with you grasshopper, I was drinking the beer from the fermenter that we pulled out for the FG! It gives you a good idea what "green" beer tastes like. It has been fun tasting it from the fresh wort to the un-carbed beer. I can't wait for the final product! It's going to be hard to wait 3-4 more weeks!

If the last bottle isn't full at least to the neck then it doesn't get capped it gets drunk (drank?) by the bottler (me). It'll be flat and a little sweeter (I bulk prime) but it is still an indicator of the final product.

I like to keep some of the little 6 or 7 ounce mexican coke bottles around for that. At the end of my bottling bucket, if it looks like it will be a half bottle, I'll uee that at the end.

Good idea EJay. I figure if I get impatient in the next couple weeks and just have to open one, I'll open the half!

the little coke bottles are a good idea. I usually just drink whatever I have left over if I'm bottling while I'm making my final notes on that batch.

Like the coke bottle idea, I usually keep around some of the 8 ounce pop bottles. Clean and sanitize with the rest and put that last little bit in there. I like doing that because I can squeeze all the extra air out and it will act like an indicator of the carbonation process. As the priming sugar is converted into CO2, the bottle will pop back up and get firm. Since they are designed to handle the pressure of soda there's not much issue.

I use those half/two thirds full bottles as the testers when I get impatient and want to taste my beer early.

My first batch yielded a partial bottle at the end, and I just drank it. It was delicious, plus I was curious.

Yep! I do the same thing...I stick the half bottle in the freezer while I clean up, then drink it...gives you a little bit of what you may be in for later on down the road.

GT

I always have a half bottle at the end of bottling day. I usually cap it and drink it after a week to see how it's coming along...for purely scientific purposes, of course. :-D

More surface area can mean more oxygen exposure, which can lead to higher levels of acetaldehyde. But if it's just half a bottle, I say go for it anyway.

So we just couldn't wait any longer; we had to open the half bottle!

image_zps2934e54c.jpg

It was pretty darn good! Had some carbonation, but definitely needs more. Good flavor, but a little weak. I'm hoping it will get more body in the next couple weeks. All in all, a good first attempt so far!!!
image_zps5ba615d1.jpg

Back