First batch, and wonder what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffy85

Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first post. I have started the hobby of home brewing, and hope to make it a long and fun adventure. Any way, I have made a batch of pale ale, and mead. I am now making my first batch of hard cider. I love cider, it's always been a joy to me. I am posting this to see if what I am doing is right. I took a gallon of organic apple juice, half a gallon of canberry juice , and cut up two apples, added 3 cups of brown sugar ( I know that's a sin to some people), and put a cinnamon stick in it to boil. I then cooled it with another gallon of water and tasted it, which t was amazing! I used a champagne yeast with it and I am now waiting. I am saying this to see if for the most part I am on the right track?

Haha, yup, that's a sin in my book. You are forgiven. Others will comment on the boiling part - it also changes the flavor of the cider making it taste cooked. Admittedly, I'm not sure why you threw in two apples...

If you like the taste, that is what matters. I would have commented to go easier on the cranberry, but it sounds like you like the taste. I make a drink that is 3/4 apple juice, 1/4 cranberry juice in a crock pot on low with cinnamon, and I decided to see what that would be like fermented. I didn't much care for it when I bottled (some say it was the cinnamon), and I've been letting it age now for awhile.

Oh, did you test the pH? That would be the only other reason I would say to ease up on the cranberry.

It isn't brown sugar, it is any kind of sugar. "Craft" ciders are all about the apples, ones that aren't even edible and that you probably haven't even heard of. Adding sugar is a cheap filler that increases the alcohol content and therefore messes with the flavor of the finished cider. It hides the apples.

My husband is moaning about how he needs to brew up another thing of scotch ale, which comes out at like 4%. Easy drinking. He doesn't mind most craft beers that are higher (he loves porters), but really hates the current trend of barleywine. You don't taste the beer, just the alcohol, and you can't drink all that much of it.

Does that make sense?

The only reason I added as much cranberry to it as I did is because it was a organic juice, and it didn't have the tartness that I was looking for in somthing like oceanspray. I had really wished for more cranberry, bit made do with what I had. I know this won't turn out quite how I want, but it's a first. I added the apples to it for yeast nutrition, and didn't know if they would add any flavor. I put them it after the boil. Well I'll have a taste party with it and let you all know if it's a success or if we had to start drinking store bought agaian. Lol.

Oh, on priming sugar. I'm wanting to make this a sparkling cider, I only have 3 gallons of and, so I'm not sure what would be a right number on the amount to use, I don't want any bottle bombs.

It isn't brown sugar, it is any kind of sugar. "Craft" ciders are all about the apples, ones that aren't even edible and that you probably haven't even heard of. Adding sugar is a cheap filler that increases the alcohol content and therefore messes with the flavor of the finished cider. It hides the apples.

My husband is moaning about how he needs to brew up another thing of scotch ale, which comes out at like 4%. Easy drinking. He doesn't mind most craft beers that are higher (he loves porters), but really hates the current trend of barleywine. You don't taste the beer, just the alcohol, and you can't drink all that much of it.

Does that make sense?

Ah, I see. The sugar would just kinda dry it out a lot. I made a 15% apfelwein that utilized a good amount of sugar and it came out pretty strong. I ended up diluting it with about 40% water and 60% of the apfelwein and all the flavor came out and it was very easily drinkable. Probably like 6-7% too.

The only reason I added as much cranberry to it as I did is because it was a organic juice, and it didn't have the tartness that I was looking for in somthing like oceanspray. I had really wished for more cranberry, bit made do with what I had. I know this won't turn out quite how I want, but it's a first. I added the apples to it for yeast nutrition, and didn't know if they would add any flavor. I put them it after the boil. Well I'll have a taste party with it and let you all know if it's a success or if we had to start drinking store bought agaian. Lol.

Oh, on priming sugar. I'm wanting to make this a sparkling cider, I only have 3 gallons of and, so I'm not sure what would be a right number on the amount to use, I don't want any bottle bombs.

You might be surprised, and it might be really really good.

I usually skip priming, so someone else will have to tell you what you need for sugar. However, I can tell you that you need to go absolutely dry, or you will have bottle bombs. New sugar + unused sugar = too much sugar = pchuoooo. <- that is suppose to be the sound of a bomb going off.

The only reason I added as much cranberry to it as I did is because it was a organic juice, and it didn't have the tartness that I was looking for in somthing like oceanspray. I had really wished for more cranberry, bit made do with what I had. I know this won't turn out quite how I want, but it's a first. I added the apples to it for yeast nutrition, and didn't know if they would add any flavor. I put them it after the boil. Well I'll have a taste party with it and let you all know if it's a success or if we had to start drinking store bought again. Lol.

You might be surprised, and it might be really really good.

I usually skip priming, so someone else will have to tell you what you need for sugar. However, I can tell you that you need to go absolutely dry, or you will have bottle bombs. New sugar + unused sugar = too much sugar = pchuoooo. <- that is suppose to be the sound of a bomb going off.

You don't taste the beer, just the alcohol, and you can't drink all that much of it.

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense. Let me just tell you, I don't homebrew only for the taste. All about the alcohol if we are going to be honest with ourselves. Sure we love the best tasting brew, but how is that any different than barbeque or charcuterie?

Regardless as to whether your husband is an alcoholic or not, I personally don't have anything against brown sugar. What's the difference between adding brown sugar or honey? Both impart a subtle flavor. I agree that it isn't as "pure" as honey, but neither are malt extracts or juices.

As long as you don't go overboard with added sugar you sould be okay, a pound per gallon (you have slightly less) IMHO won't hurt anything but will give it a bit more kick. That just makes it last longer! :)

Seriously, you're going to hell.

Cheers!

Perfect sense. Let me just tell you, I don't homebrew only for the taste. All about the alcohol if we are going to be honest with ourselves. Sure we love the best tasting brew, but how is that any different than barbeque or charcuterie?

Regardless as to whether your husband is an alcoholic or not, I personally don't have anything against brown sugar. What's the difference between adding brown sugar or honey? Both impart a subtle flavor. I agree that it isn't as "pure" as honey, but neither are malt extracts or juices.

As long as you don't go overboard with added sugar you sould be okay, a pound per gallon (you have slightly less) IMHO won't hurt anything but will give it a bit more kick. That just makes it last longer! :)

Seriously, you're going to hell.

Cheers!

LOL, well said.

I make wines, too, and those get sugar. So I guess that makes me a hypocrite? I just can't bring myself to add it to apple juice.

Back