First Batch...Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRealBonger

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer last night. Good times! I missed my og by a little 1.050 vs. 1.060. Oh well, its a first and hopefully comes out ok. I was the typical noob and probably pitched my yeast a little warm, but this morning it seems to be fermenting. I did this in the kitchen, and stunk up the house, wife said maybe I should brew when she isn't home. :D I think once I have a final product, she might ease up a little. I am also about to bottle my Apfelwein, time to start building the pipeline of homebrew! :ban: Thanks for all the great tips on this website. :mug:

My wife was turned off by the smell also. She dosen't like IPA's to begin with. Oh well.:mug:

I love the smell of beer brewing. I've heard quite a few people say they don't like it, and I can't figure it out. It smells like sweetened Grape-Nuts and hops. How can you go wrong? Anyway...

If you used the right amount of water and the right amount of extract, you probably didn't really miss your SG. Your sample probably just wasn't mixed up well enough. It's practically impossible to miss SG with extract unless your extract to water ratio is not right.

*Excellent* choice on your first brew... I just love that recipe (assuming it's the one I'm thinking it is). If you really like hops, consider putting an ounce of Amarillo in as a dry hop after fermentation is done, for 7 - 14 days. I dry hopped for 14 days; think I'm going to cut back to 7 or 10 days next time (got a very, very faint grassy aroma that I attribute to the 14 day dry hop...thinking I'll get most of the hops aroma and less grassiness with a shorter dry hop).

I missed my og by a little 1.050 vs. 1.060.

As the poster above said, it's hard to get a good hydrometer reading when you're topping up an extract brew in the carboy. Also, remember that you have to adjust the hydrometer reading for temp. Most are calibrated to 60F. If your wort is hotter than that, it will appear less dense.

Thanks for the feedback! It is currently fermenting away in the basement. Good to know about extracts and hydrometers. The recipe is off of this site. 7lbs extra light dme, 1/2lb crystal malt, 4oz Amarillo. Can't wait to try the final product. Thanks again for the responses and wealth of knowledge contained here:mug:

Congrats on the first beer :D And thanks for posting the recipe, I've been thinking about doing an Amarillo IPA as well.

My wife was turned off by the smell also. She dosen't like IPA's to begin with. Oh well.:mug:

My wife doesn't like the smell of hops either. She either leaves the house or at the very least, stays out of the kitchen when I'm brewing. Gives me some peace and quiet to brew..

That recipe is so good that I just ordered 2 pounds of Amarillo, and enough grain to brew 12 more gallons of it.

Back