First attempt (Skeeter Pee), and have question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian-s

Reaction score
So, I followed the recipe and directions for Skeeter Pee posted on the Skeeter Pee web page. Although I didn't pitch a slurry like is suggested (I rehydrated Red Star Premier Cuvee in 500ml of 100 degree F water mixed with dry malt extract), I followed the remainder of the instructions as written. Fermentation went just as planned.

After racking to a glass carboy and mechanical degassing, I added the Kmeta and sorbate, then waited a couple of days and added Sparkolloid. After a couple more days, it had cleared up nicely. So I racked again, and here we are:

NCJrxiE.jpg

I'm concerned that fermentation will start again when I back sweeten, because the water level in my air lock shows positive pressure in the carboy. It doesn't bubble, but it does move all of the water from one chamber to the other.

My question is, should I dose it again with Kmeta and Sorbate? Will doing that negatively affect the flavor of the finished product? Am I just worrying about something that's a non-issue?

Thanks in advance!

The positive pressure is probably from installing the stopper. Did you fill it after you installed it? If not, that could be why.

If you dosed it properly with KMeta, the yeast should be inactivated.

Also, remember a "fresh" or new wine will degas itself. I have several wines that didn't referment that "pop" the cork. Same deal.

Temperature has an effect too. If you moved the carboy from a cooler location to a warmer one, even by a few degrees, the expansion will make your airlock liquid move a bit.

Back